The view on another planet

In the UK you can get a years supply for £1912. You sign up for a year pay monthly and automatically receive the sensors and transmitters as needed. Of course with xdrip+ and Spike you can stretch the sensors and transmitters to go for longer and Barbara who puts new batteries into old G5 transmitters says that although it is more difficult she should be able to do G6 when the time comes… Apparently 15 days are achievable for the sensors although as it is so new I have not heard of anyone who has reported the 20 or 28 days some reported with the G5.

If you want to stay with the Dexcom apps Kate Di Simone has provided instructions about how to get longer out of both sensor and transmitter. One way involves using your microwave as a Faraday Cage.

Links on my website bgonmywatch.com on Links page and in “All about CGM” article.

The view from another planet is interesting however the overwhelming reason for getting CGM was to avoid my wife having to call out the paramedics when I went hypo at 2 am. The alarms were paramount.

I have been asked to trial the new Medtrum A6 and am 10 days in. Several times a day I am recording BG using the Contour Next, the Medtrum A6, the Libre/MiaoMiao/xdrip+/ andof course the Libre itself. I have never tried to check the accuracy of sensors in this way before but it throws up some interesting points.

My view is I want at least 20% accuracy when BG falls to 5. That is when meter reads 5 BG reads between 5 and 6 mmoll/L.

So far every system has had at least one reading over 25% out but not in a way to put me in danger of hypo. That would be a reading 5 with BG 3.75 or below. In fact no reading at all has put me in danger of a hypo.

The xdrip combo has recorded 8 out of 10 readings below the BG reading something that gives me reassurance.

Confirmation is building that the Libre sensors are fairly consistent. The first one consistently high over 2mmoll/l at higher levels and the second one, so far, really accurate generally plus or minus 6.

In other words we are still waiting for a consistent sensor that does not wobble around (I have read good reports of the G6) and genuinely does not need calibrating.

I will be posting everything I have done so far on my website after the first 14 days or so. Medtum is supposed to be able to do 14 days.

There was one totally bizarre reading BG 8,2 (taken twice) xdrip and Medtrum both 6.5, Libre 5.6. Totally out of the blue and previous and following readings all within 10% for all 3 systems. Gives ammunition for any doubters but at least it was the right way fronm a safety point of view.

Your Libre doesn’t read too high? I am very fond of it, and I do find it more accurate than my Guardian, but it’s late on my hypos. I saw my endo the other day, same doctor who wrote me the prescription for it originally, and she asked whether I was still using. She said she is only prescribing it for Type 2s at this point because she just didn’t trust it on the low end. As I said, I love mine but also recognize that as a major weakness.

It is a short article that we keep on our site.

2 Likes

From Dexcom I think I was paying around $80 per G5 sensor, and they generally last me about 2 weeks. $600 is the list price for a pair of transmitters, so that’s 6 months but actually it should cover a year if you restart the transmitters, and with the autoship cash plan from Dexcom the transmitter price was roughly cut in half. If you have a smart phone you don’t need the Dexcom receiver. So I think my monthly cost was about $200. Expensive, but more feasible than $600.

Here is a bit more info about wiki’s

This capability is one of the neatest features of Discourse, our forum software! It allows “regular” members (trust level 3 and above) to create posts (wikis) that are editable by any other regular member, for the purpose of creating a master summary of important information. Here is how:

• Create the post
  • use the appropriate formatting
    ** bold headings
    ** copy-paste the triple line and last wiki line “ End of wiki ---------- comments start here ” from an existing wiki
  • Include a Resources or References section at the end
  • Save the post in a wiki subcategory within the appropriate category
  • On the post, on the bottom right-hand side, select the “…” icon, and click on it
  • Select the wrench
  • Under the wrench drop-up, select “Make wiki”
  • Tag the wiki “wiki” (that is the only way we can find wiki posts outside of the wiki TOCs)
  • Add a link to the wiki in the wiki subcategory TOC
2 Likes

Okay… so I’m still unclear on what it would entail? Or the process?? And, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, does this have anything to do with Wikipedia?

Yes, it is the process that Wikipedia champions where someone writes something, and then others are able to edit to make it better.

Oh didn’t know you were coming with this. Great. I’ll look at it now.

1 Like

I agree with this totally. The only reason I still use Dexcom is for nighttime alerts. If it wasn’t for that, I’d ditch it.

1 Like

I can see the benefit of alarms for avoiding nighttime Lows. In view of the cost of the Dexcom system, I would probably use the Libre system with modifications per other members on this site to make it function as a full CGM.

1 Like

There are no alarms on the Libre… not sure if you knew that?

I think he knows, however if you attach a bit of additional hardware you can turn it into a CGM

1 Like

5 Likes

Absolutely love that

1 Like

@anthonywarren
I would be quite interested in your feedback.
My initial reaction to the company was quite negative.
The play on the name to be similar to Medtronic (Medtrum) coupled with the play on the device to be similar to the Dexcom G6 (A6) left me with a very sour taste.

So - I am wondering if my reaction was overly negative and if there really is more behind this then poor marketing choices.

And hence would honestly be very interested in your actual real world feedback.

1 Like

Not sure whose kidding or what? The alarms that turn Libre into full CGM are Blucon and in particular MialMiao full details on my website see articles, “All about cgm”, “Getting going with Blucon” and “Getting going with MiaoMiao”

In the UK some people can get Libre on the NHS for nothing so the extra cost of Blucon for $100 dollars?? or MM $200 dollars, prices not accurate because carriage, customs etc come into play, but anyway not very mutch compared with Dexcom costs quoted from Edgepark.

It gets more expensive if you have to self fund in which case The Libre setup costs by my calcs £1248 for first year.

The most intriguing thing that I have heard in last month is that Libre’s next development will be a sensor that includes a transmitter.

1 Like

I am still not sure - much of the first 10 days has been quite reassuring given the negative report from Tim Street, however there has been one incident that I found a bit frightening on which I have sought reassurance from the company and also I cannot make the alarms last more than a couple of seconds which makes me wonder if I have not done something correctly. The company have not come back to me on this yet.

The appearance and much of the working looks pretty similar to the G5 and it is very quick and responsive. The accuracy seems fairly similar to my Libre xdrip+ setup. A very interesting feature of xdrip plus is that they provide for a link up with Medtrum, like for Decom and Libre. As I have been given 4 sensors to try out I plan to use the last one with xdrip but this will be some weeks away.

I am not techy like Tim so I have approached it as an ordinary user. One of the criteria I am looking at is do I think it is as reliable at keeping me safe from going hypo particularly at night.

One of the more disappointing aspects is that I feel the manual does not explain each function fully. The Medtrum staff however are very friendly and helpful and their is no call screening system, you just go straight to an advisor.

Very early days - feeling my way. I hope to have much more detail on my website, including all the readings I have taken, after the weekend by which time the sensor will have been running for 12 days.

:rofl:

1 Like

And I was getting ready to ask if there might be a solution in there for my inability to hear over night alarms… since I’ve already got the Libre attached anyway.

Wait. First of all, is any of this that anyone’s talking about available in the U.S.?

Yes. You definitely can buy Blucon hardware. It’s not FDA approved or anything like that, but you definitely can buy hardware that makes the libre sensor trigger alarms on your phone. You’d have to look around to find out how, I don’t know that.

1 Like