The view on another planet

I finally found a good google image of the tests I used to use. It cracks me up, I remembered the “recipe”.

This is it.

3 Likes

I had to put my mom on it… she’s checking out your site, @anthonywarren and is watching nerdabetic to see how to make it happen, @glitzabetes, so thank you both. I slept through everything again last night. With pump clipped next to my ear.

My mom’s our resident tech expert (she’s 74)… that should give you an idea our technical abilities around here.

Me too, 5 drops urine, then 10 water, add tablet. And the mixture would bubble and get HOT.

1 Like

What is this “factor” you speak of??? I’ve never heard of it.

1 Like

This is something specific to medtronic pump and sensor.

1 Like

This would be easy to setup. It is a device that turns on an electrical socket whenever an alarm sound triggers it (kind of like the “Clapper” thing they used to advertise on TV).

https://www.harriscomm.com/sonic-alert-traditional-system-uss-360-universal-sound-transmitter.html

So your CGM alarm would trigger the device to turn on the electrical socket. And you have something plugged into the socket, like either a light, or a vacuum cleaner, or a blender filled with marbles.

So ultimately your CGM alarm is turning on the blender filled with marbles.

Referenced in a couple places on FUD, but never had a thread specifically to this device:

wifi-alarm-for-night-monitoring
a-frightening-experience-at-sleepaway-camp

3 Likes

My opinion is the best way to avoid alarm fatigue (which I think is a very significant issue involved here) is to greatly reduce the frequency of alarms.

If it was me, I would significantly bump the overnight BG up. I would target 180 immediately via significant basal adjustments. This night. In one shot. Not slowly. That is me. Stop the alarms. Get a good night sleep. Don’t depend on whatever auto whatever doesn’t seem to be working anyway.

Then, when you are sleeping through the night at an elevated BG with no alarms and no auto whatever kicking in with modified basal settings then start tweaking the basal for appropriate hours based on what you see in the cgm for nighttime patterns and slowly start bringing the overnight BG down.

IMHO it will take many nights of no alarms to get past alarm fatigue. At a certain point, the alarms will start waking you up. Currently, (still all my opinion) your hippocampus is filtering out the sound of the alarm before it even hits the frontal lobe. Just like often times you don’t even hear the washing machine running until somebody asks something about and specifically draws your attention to it.

But that is me.

Ask a dozen people and you likely get a dozen and half suggestions on how to proceed.

If it was easy nobody would even have to ask.

2 Likes

I think this is a joke…

Is this a joke??

As @MM2 said, it’s a value I’m able to calculate using a Medtronic sensor. It comes from the Isig, which I don’t think is visible with any other sensor…

Very real. Check out the links he provided. More reading but serious.

2 Likes

But the clock on the back of the arm… the LAST picture he put up there… THAT was a joke… RIGHT?

I agree totally with this. Also, if your alarm sounds the same every night, your brain just starts filtering it out. I think if you change the way your alarm sounds (glass jar full of coins some nights, metal bedside table other night, light turning on other nights, blender full of marbles other nights) it would be more unexpected and thus more likely to wake you up.

I suspect this device is a type of assistive technology meant primarily for people who are deaf or hard of hearing who need sound converted into some sort of visual stimuli.

2 Likes

Now you are killing me.

ROTFLMAO

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have also seen posts in the past, where people used earthquake detector apps, with their dexcom receiver sitting on phone or iPod. Not sure that would work with Minmed tubed pump.

I have auto-off set on my pump (MM 523) to 12 hours. This vibrates (due to my setting), and is my backup for times I don’t respond to overnight dexcom low alerts. But also goes off on the occasional late sleep in, and 12 hours pass since previous pump button pressing!

No this one is real. Check it out.

That same site https://www.harriscomm.com also has a bed-shaker that you could plug into the link I posted above:
https://www.harriscomm.com/sonic-alert-super-shaker-bed-shaker.html

1 Like

Wow. Only $45. I was expecting something bigger and more expensive.

Especially for assistive devices. Usually they are outrageously expensive.

I always said I was going to test my “blue-cose”. Of course that was wishful thinking.

2 Likes

Beacher you are right the alams are chosen by the user in xdrip and I guess Spike.

My approach is to assume my system will have a variability of 20% so I set my first low alarm at 5mmoll/L that is plus or minus 20% will be 4 or 6. Just a bleep. Then a louder alarm that goes on indefinitely at 4.4 and another at 3.8 the same.

For the high I have the single bleep at 7.5 and the louder goes on forever at 8.5. I can turn the alarms off from my Pebble watch.

So yes the alarms are infinitely variable, There are snooze settings for all high or all low or all alarms.

So for instance if I go to bed with BG fairly high I snooze the high alarms for 2 hours so only get woken up if my sugar does not drop in that time.

Only faint quibble is the actual alarms which I think are the ones from the phone which are all rather similar and musical and nothing as loud as the siren ones on Dexcom. Not worked out how to download any more dramatic ones.

2 Likes

:grin:

I wish I had been completely kidding. :wink: