The occasional sports/exercise quote

“During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.”

• Mickey Mantle
3 Likes

“Know your limits, then ignore them.”

-John Mason

1 Like

“I SHOULDA STOOD IN BED”

Yogi Berra :cheeky:

“It doesn’t matter how fast you run, as long as you keep going.”

-My mom, 7/4/2017

2 Likes

@Eric Your Mom is a sage. Please tell her for me.

3 Likes

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

- Confucius

2 Likes

this is a beautiful sentiment. and it is in sync with how i have been feeling about myself as a person lately. i just keep on getting back up and “back on the horse.”

(PS: i will be going to Mohonk in another week with my family; we will be doing everything from horseback riding to hiking mountain trails, to swimming and canoeing in a lake…and, of course, eating delicious food :sunny: . I am so excited.)

(its a treat from my very generous mother to all of her children and grandchildren and son-in-laws)

2 Likes

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined.”
(Thoreau)

4 Likes

“It isn’t over 'til it’s over” - Yogi Berra

3 Likes

For @Chris’s son and @Michel’s son:

“The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat.”

- Bill Squires

3 Likes

i think you made a little boo boo. rocky said that first. :yum:

2 Likes

Confucius got a lot of his stuff from Rocky. Like Confucius’ famous quote, “Yo Adrian, I did it!”, Confucius totally stole that from Rocky. :smiley:

4 Likes

my mom always told us kids a similar message. she was a child survivor of the holocaust and nazi experiments. her trunk was out of proportion to the length of her legs because of starvation. her teeth were brown. but because we evolved in harsh conditions, the body knew how to spare her brain as much as possible. she got a scholarship as an immigrant because even with all her bad luck, she had the luck to be born with a solid gold brain and the ability to not give up no matter what.

6 Likes

“If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion.”

- Robert M. Pirsig

“It’s protect yourself at all times” Floyd mayweather jr-- after sucker punching victor Ortiz-- who was looking at and talking to the referee with his hands at his waist

I don’t have credits for these, so they may be “anon” and not from anyone famous…they are basically the same, but I like them for different situations.

“I NEVER lose. I either win or I learn.”

and

“Failure is nothing more than a chance to revise your strategy.”

4 Likes

“I realized that the only way I was going to swim faster, was if I swam faster.”

- Daisy Mae

I love this quote. :arrow_up:
It reminds me of something I heard about running long ago - “The best way to train for running…is by running.”

4 Likes

“Success isn’t how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.”

- Steve Prefontaine

“Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training, and some are not.”

- George A. Sheehan

1 Like

My dad was a classmate of his…

3 Likes