The IOB Predicament... What do you do with a climbing blood sugar prior to starting exercise?

As an outside observer, it always appears that once the blood sugar hits a real low (i.e. 40’s for us) then the rebound will be crazy, leading to the rage bolus, leading to the low low, etc etc

Rinse and repeat, get frustrated, eat the donut…

2 Likes

Sorry to Hijack - your thread but your comment made me think of this… :smile: - It works for mice but maybe not for people. [and yes this is the daily mail - a bit of a sensationalist paper…]

Caffeine-sensitive cells may let diabetics control their blood sugar | Daily Mail Online

Back on topic. I sometimes suspend my insulin when I am going low, but generally the longest I suspect is 0.5 to 1.0 hours - beyond that it becomes difficult as you have the wrong amount of basal for the next 4 hours.

It looks like the 670G only suspends for a maximum of 2 hours and then will resumes normal basal if you do not acknowledge the suspend. It then pauses the low suspend for 4 hours - meaning if you do nothing and your sensor reads a low BG it should be.

2 hours no basal - 4 hours normal basal - 2 hours no basal.

So I wonder - how did you get a 2.5 hour suspend? or am I missing something.

What I would do is just inject a couple of units [to cover missed basal] and then watch the drop and treat with glucose if I gave too much insulin. My thinking here is once I get high I get on the roller coaster, but if I give too much insulin and cover up with glucose (or doughnut or whatever) I do not get on the roller coaster.

You get me. :heart:

It was actually the half a bag of watermelon sour patch kid-things… how gross is that?

And there were the chocolate chips… and then the handful of peanuts even though they didn’t help and really probably made things worse…

And the other stuff.

1 Like

If coffee is beneficial in any possible way, I’m on par for developing superpowers. I can’t be sure, but I actually think I can feel my brain growing sometimes when I’m drinking it…

Oh please let the cure be coffee…

1 Like

This sounds like a great idea. Tresiba would be perfect for this too. It always seemed crazy to me that the 670g would essentially cut off basal after eating. Seems like a recipe for roller coasters.

3 Likes

You’re not missing anything… I’m so used to blaming everything on auto mode, that I misspoke. You are right about it being 2 hours and not 2.5… In auto mode, the limit is 2.5 hours of minimum delivery. In manual, it’s 2 hours. For me, however, even one hour can be monumental. 2 hours is throw your pump material.

Do you use the 670G, by the way?? That’s an impressive pull there on the 2 hours max, no response, and the resulting 4 hours where suspend feature is unavailable… i think 98% of people wearing the pump don’t know that… i even think 98% of medtronic reps don’t know that either. :smiley:

And normally I could just do a bolus. I’ve done them a number of times. This morning was just a little more complicated because the correction was already at 2.4, and that didn’t even cover the coffee I had… My main issue was that I wanted to go for a run but didn’t want to go out with a bunch of insulin on board. It turned out doing none wasn’t the best option either… So I should probably stop explaining and denying everything and see what people have to offer. :smiley:

Sometimes I get mad just thinking about the 670… which is very unhealthy because it’s attached to me.

WHY they didn’t just design this thing to COMMUNICATE the fact it’s stopping your insulin is what really gets me. It’s like a little annoying misbehaving leprechaun sneaking around hitting suspend and running off giggling…

4 Likes

6 Likes

Seriously??? Did you just put that together?? :rofl::rofl:

Do you happen to have one of Tresiba deal going down on the local street corner because I don’t know where else to get it if my endo’s out? :smiley:

1 Like

3 Likes

Enough! I gotta go run. Catch you kids later.
:grinning:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: NO…

Have a nice run. :hugs:

1 Like

No - I just have a strange talent for reading user manuals.

Actually - I was curious about the 670G a while back. I was thinking about getting one for my son who has Type 1. I read the manual to compare it with the do-it-yourself open loops that I am more familiar with.

It looks like it is pretty unconfigurable when you are in the auto-modes. Which makes sense as everyone’s body is the same - right?

One thing I would add is a minimum bolus to suspend to.

Last night I had a leak around the cannula of my Omnipod during my dinner bolus. So I had no idea how much insulin I gave for dinner and how much basal was lost. - I took a guess (80% of (dinner bolus + last hour of basal).

I was close, but got to eat a cookie about 2 hours later :smile:

6 Likes

One thing I don’t like is how on occlusions you don’t know when it actually stopped. It gives you an estimate on a bolus that was happening, based on when it “thinks” the occlusion happened, but the occlusion can occur before it was detected. So you can sometimes have less than what it says you got. If that makes sense.

3 Likes

Totally agree - then you have to do one of those Fermiam Estimates like @TiaG was talking about on another thread.

This morning, after breakfast (and during a meeting naturally) I had a steady rising blood sugar on my CGM. I corrected with 2u at 1/2 hour intervals and the CGM was still rising and my spidey sense that kicks in around 140 (8.0) started tingling - CRAP - not another pod cannula problem :frowning:. I went for a break in the meeting, and checked the pod but no insulin. Then I went though my bolus history and released I did not give any insulin for breakfast. Haven’t done that for a long time…

4 Likes

That’s my FAVORITE… when it turns out it really was my fault. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Couldn’t find where in the thread you were talking about how to calculate how much insulin to do before heading out the door, so now we’re here.

Went out for an early morning run (which, by the way, is starting to resemble real running, but more on that later), and similar scenario. However this time, I could’ve left whenever I felt like it. I was keeping an eye on my CGM SG value (:grin:), and it was hanging low so I thought things were better than they were. Had my 50% temp set, probably was about 40 minutes in, and I had had my 2 cups of coffee, no insulin. I was starting at a BG of a 60 so I want sure if I was going to need the insulin or not, assuming I got out on time. Decided to check with finger stick, I was a 220. THiS time I decided to do some of the insulin, as recommended, and got right out. My recommended correction was for 2.1. I went with .8, far less than the 40% you mentioned, and I figured it was undershooting big time as I had just finished the other coffee and probably hadn’t seen any rise from it yet. Headed out the door, and 15 minutes in had a huge crash. I ate 6 super gross glucose tablets and managed to make my way, run-walking, the rest of the workout. Returned at a 60, and while I wasn’t looking, my pump slipped a long suspend by me. I’ve done 2 15 minute jumps SINCE this morning plus full food shopping trip. Plus insulin. Plenty. And I’m just hanging high. WTH? :rage: that last part got away from me… my QUESTION is… that .8 that I did before heading out—- it caused that crash?? So much was pushing me up… was it because I did it right as I headed out the door?? And how would I avoid that if I didn’t know I was going to need it until the moment I did??

I want you to know I’m having a beautiful day… I save all my complaining for you guys. :blush:

1 Like

It is useful to know which way you are heading, not just the number. So when you saw 220 and did the .8 units, that seems reasonable…unless you were already heading down.

Is that 220 definite? Did you check twice?

When you were at 220, was your pump also pushing up your basal to bring you down?

0.80 units is pretty close to 40% of the correction I suggested.
(40% of 2.1 = .84 units)

If there was no other insulin at play, and no unknown basal increases, then 40% is too much for you, and next time you might want to try 20% or something like that.

Do you have a list of times and BG’s to look at?

1 Like

Seriously? I have a novel. :grin:

Thank you for responding… I’m slow right now, but I’ll get back to you with my info. And my numbers. :hugs: