The IOB Predicament... What do you do with a climbing blood sugar prior to starting exercise?

Zero basal for any extended time is horrible.

I posted something about it on a different discussion a while back, do you remember this?
some basal illustration concept “pics” I made

If you were leave your basal-screwing pump as it is, and just add 5 units of Tresiba to the mix, even when your pump turns off your basal, you would have about 0.20 units per hour of basal all the time.

0.20 units is not a lot to add when your pump is always turning off anyway. You might need to tinker with it a bit, but at least you would never be at zero.

The zero basal for extended periods is totally screwing up everything. Your meals - after having your basal turned off who knows how long - no wonder you are getting crazy numbers.

I would be willing to bet this would be a huge improvement.

It takes a few days to get up to speed, but Tresiba is a very long lasting basal. So you would have a nice steady stream of about 0.20 units per hour, no matter what your pump tries to do.

So when your pump says, “Nicky is at 70, I need to turn off her insulin for a few hours!!”, you still have 0.20 units being snuck in.

It’s like the pump instead saying, “I like Nicky, I will only turn her down to 0.20 units an hour so she doesn’t get screwed up for hours…”

At close to 30 units of basal a day, 5 units over 24 hours is not much.

I bet you this would be a huge improvement. Would you be willing to try something like that?

2 Likes