Teens, college, drinking and diabetes

you sound wise beyond your years :). Sadly, I was not as enlightened and certainly got into a lot of dodgy situations while drinking in college. I hope and pray my kids wind up acting more like you than me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s so much part personality, part who are your friends, part smarts, part access to alcohol, etc… right?!

2 Likes

Messaging with my mom about this discussion… she replied: “well, you did take good care of yourself. But i tried to scare you enough that you wouldn’t drink… lol, dream child might be pushing it…”

I don’t remember her talking to me about drinking. She said to that: “I told you it could kill you!”

4 Likes

I’ve never driven drunk. I never will.

But I was pulled over for suspected drunk driving when I happened to be the designated driver headed across town to pick up my drunk friends that night.

I was new to driving a stick shift. I missed my turn and was in an unfamiliar stretch of the edge of town. I noticed a cop tailing me. I realized I was probably speeding. So then my speed was erratic. And then I tried to lose him…by pulling into a dark parking lot that turned out to be the POLICE STATION.

Not knowing my legal rights, I let them search the trunk. All they found was a radio scanner (flight students who are nerds have these to listen to ATC), aluminum foil (from foiling a TA’s office that week for his birthday), and rolls of duct tape (which we had used to tape a friend to a bike rack for an hour or two for his birthday). Well, those three things together made the cop conclude I was trafficking drugs. Once I proved I knew the local aviation frequencies for the radio scanner and explained the duct tape and aluminum foil…and that the reason I tried to lose him was because I didn’t want to get a speeding ticket…and that I was borrowing my friend’s car to be designated driver…He didn’t believe any of it! He let me and my friend go finally but said something wasn’t right.

So. You can still get pulled over for drunk driving if you’re sober. And don’t try to hide from the police in their own parking lot. That is the worst game of hide and seek ever. You will lose.

14 Likes

Your story sounds suspicious and I am not even a cop.

8 Likes

I finally made it to the house to get my drunk friends and drive them back to the dorms. You should have heard the warning they received from me that if any of them did anything stupid on the drive back I was kicking them out of the car to walk the rest of the way to campus. It was total Mom Training.

5 Likes

I can hear it now, “Don’t make me come back there!”

3 Likes

I felt so invincible when I coasted to a stop and shut down the headlights on my friend’s car in what appeared to be a forested area to lose the cop and save myself a speeding ticket. That always works in the movies so well!

Well, the very powerful spotlighting from not one but two cop cars made it very evident that I was not in a forest. I could NOT believe I had tried to lose a cop by going to his home base!!!

ETA: And after all of these years, I never gave myself credit for the fact that my plan worked! It was full of so much stupidity that he was too distracted to write me a speeding ticket!

5 Likes

I thought that Tidepool’s CGM data collection and analysis is pretty interesting, especially for the young adult cohort:
https://www.tidepool.org/blog/let’s-talk-about-your-donated-data/

They acknowledge that these data have biases here and there but overall the trends are interesting

It looks like they have a jump in TIR the 18-20 year old age group. I would’ve guessed the opposite (and haven’t other studies reported higher A1cs in this age group?) But maybe it’s the selection bias that the young adults that opt in to use Tidepool are in the lower bracket for A1cs in their age group? Maybe that’s a time for independence and freedom and proving that they can handle it (then that starts to slip 21-24)? Maybe they switched endos (from pediatric to a normal endo) and that’s been beneficial for them? Maybe the hormones have chilled out a little, allowing for greater ease in their care?

IDK, I just thought others might find this interesting!

2 Likes

I can vouch for that. Possibly I’m a outlier, but 18 was the drinking age, so all my friends started around 14. Now… Almost never.

3 Likes

This was true when I was there. We used to go to the local bar after school and gets brats. As long as we attempted to pronounce “Ein Bier bitte” correctly they would serve us. When we started acting silly like kids do, we were abruptly cut off.

2 Likes

Agreed.
And Agreed.

2 Likes

This would of been very helpful. The only advice I got going in was “don’t drink” which was unrealistic and left me unprepared as to how to manage my diabetes. Not exactly sure how I didn’t end up in the ER or even worse consequences.

3 Likes

yes. so important… beyondType1 has a section that outlines everything that happens while drinking. including your livers inability to dump glucose into the bloodstream like it normally does…everyone should check it out as its very informative
https://beyondtype1.org/?s=alcohol+and+diabetes&orderby=relevance

3 Likes

the number of people in that cohort is smaller than the others; so that means if they happened to be a biased sample, it wouldn’t take too many extra people to nudge their TIR up to what it was in the age group before that.

2 Likes