Tandem Control-IQ

Thanks @bkh and interesting read, and about what I expected. The improvement to using a range rather than a set value is nice and gives more future flexibility in adjustments depending on how the algorithm is implemented. Overall, good news, I for one wasn’t expecting the ability to dial much below 120 with the first iteration, so the thought that you might be able to trick it with the overnight is interesting.

1 Like

After using 670g’s automode for 8 months I’m anxiously waiting to see how the public likes control-IQ. I’m interested in upgrading pumps, but I have an itching feeling that control IQ might not be all it’s been hyped up to be (hmmm maybe this is automode PTSD :thinking: )

2 Likes

I would guess that it will be better than MDT’s approach, just because that company is very risk-averse, but probably not as flexible as most who want their A1c’s in the 5’s to be.

I start Tandem pump on Tuesday next week.:grinning:

Will need more details on Control IQ. I hope some of the rumored details on the functionality isn’t completely accurate.

Control-IQ as it will be released - right now is conjecture. (Certainly based on solid reports but it still is not released.)

I can say that IMHO, the Basal-IQ is all it is hyped to be.

If you get an X2 prior to the Control-IQ being released then it will come with Basal-IQ. It would then be your choice whether (or when) to install the update to Control-IQ as opposed to continuing to run Basal-IQ while listening to other people report on Control-IQ.

4 Likes

You mean you won’t have the choice if you get the X2 after Control-IQ has been released? There’s just no Basal-IQ option?

I share some fellings. Next month I am going to try and switch to tandem x-2. Was leaning towards waiting to see how control I-Q is reviewed, but like stated if I get now can always update if I decide to control I-Q. But here rumours you may not be able to go to basal I-Q if you wait for control I-Q to buy pump.

If I was a gambling sort of critter, I would put the odds at about 99% that once Control-IQ is released and the pumps are coming out of the factory with Control-IQ installed that you would NOT be able to downgrade to Basal-IQ.

Only a guess.

3 Likes

That’s the rumor I have seen.

A good explanation of Control IQ.

https://asweetlife.org/tandems-control-iq-explained/

2 Likes

I would quess that if you have a device with Control-IQ you probably will be able to turn it off. And leave Basal-IQ on only.

Companies add stuff but almost never take it away.

1 Like

I can’t believe they would make the user choose… permanently. That’s insane. What a gamble. Everyday I’m thinking about whether or not I would regret giving up the Basal-IQ just to try the Control-IQ. I hope it’s not one or the other.

1 Like

Much like a “sport-shift” transmission option on a car. It’s factory Installed, fun to use, but not something want for my day to day driving

2 Likes

@elver, I don’t know what a sport-shift is, but I think I’d feel the same way about it based on that line. :smiley: I would love to try Control-IQ out but am not crazy about the trade off. You don’t seem to be wrong much, @Thomas, but I hope you’re wrong on this. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

This is what I’m hoping for as well. I know on their previous upgrades you weren’t able to go back (ie once you got Basal-IQ you couldn’t pair G5 sensors with the pump anymore) but I’m hoping that’s more of an issue with not being able to connect the pump to multiple types of sensors/Basal-IQ not approved for the G5 than a look at their upgrade scheme in general. Since it’s just two different algorithms for the same sensor I hope they both have a little on/off switch on the upgraded pumps but we’ll have to wait and see

2 Likes

Willing to place a wager on that one.
lol
Your choice of reasonable item to wager.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Remember that Basal-IQ was FDA approved for both the G5 and the iCGM (ie - the G6).

The decision to remove G5 support when the Basal-IQ update was deployed was entirely a Tandem company choice.

This is not a knock on the company or what I prefer or don’t prefer or anything like that. Only what I think is the far more likely scenario.

Ok so to be clear. We are wagering that when a Tandem customer upgrades to Control IQ will not be able to turn this functionality off, and only run with Basal IQ? Correct?

So for me, success would be two algorithms that can be turned on/off independently, and success for you would be Control IQ, that could be turned On/Off or not turned off at all, and Basal IQ would not be available separately. Correct?

If so, my wager item would be bottle of liquor of the winners choice up to a maximum of $60 US.

I hate to call it success as this really is not what I would advocate for nor want but rather what I expect will be the reality.

After the Control-IQ update is loaded, all functionality related to Basal-IQ will be removed. The Control-IQ algorithm will be able to be easily turned on and off. There will be no options nor availability of Basal-IQ by any means (once the Control-IQ update has been properly applied).

Ok, I will take the bet. Even though I know you pour over a bunch of this stuff, and probably have already called somebody and asked…