T1D and the risk of serious infection

That is quite amazing. Do you know what was injected?

It was 40 mg of methylprednisolone. I have no idea if this is a high or low dose overall.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if maybe the steroid hasnā€™t really kicked in yet. I just walked into our new lunch room at work and immediately reacted to something (instant congestion, runny nose, itchy watery eyes). Maybe thatā€™s why I havenā€™t had any impact on BG yetā€¦

1 Like

I was told with the one in my shoulder it would take 3-4 days. Not sure how it works for allergy symptoms.

I would consider that a low (or very low) dose.

1 Like

Good info! I tried googling, but couldnā€™t find any information on this. This makes me feel better about the fact that it doesnā€™t seem to be having much of any impact. Maybe it was too low to do much of anything.

2 Likes

40 mg is fairly common for the injectable form, though it also comes in 80 mg strength.

1 Like

I think part of it is that Iā€™ve also been experiencing the hormonal plummet over the past day or two. But still, itā€™s odd. I woke up last night really low (low enough that I was totally disoriented) and even after treating and waiting a good half hour, I was still only 2.6 mmol/L. I ate a bowl of cereal, and woke up this morning realizing that Iā€™d entirely forgotten to bolus for it. I was expecting to be 20 mmol/L, but I was only 8.2 mmol/L.

So maybe itā€™s the hormones cancelling the steroids out. Or maybe allergies were really causing a ton of inflammation that drove up my BG.

1 Like

Still no rise?

Nope. BGs are literally perfect. If anything, Iā€™ve had to lower my insulin. I spent all last night hovering at 3.9 mmol/L for hours. Perfect.

In addition to the steroid shot, my doctor told to me to take Benadryl before bed (on top of the two extra-strength Reactine and other allergy medications I take each day), so Iā€™ve actually been sleeping through the night and waking up feeling good!

Iā€™m really beginning to think allergies and the impact they had (lack of sleep, feeling sick all day, effects of having a 24/7/365 ā€œcoldā€) had a huge impact on my BG.

2 Likes

This is really amazing. And great!

I am, of course, surprised by the lack of impact of the steroids on BG. But the potential impact of allergies on BG that this may have uncovered is staggering.

1 Like

Iā€™m really surprised, too.

Someone over at TuD did comment and say they sometimes had no effect from steroids. So maybe itā€™s just a fluke.

But my allergies go so far beyond what is ā€œstandardā€ that it wouldnā€™t surprise me if it were the cause. Even with all this medication, I still have reactions if I walk into a room with something Iā€™m allergic to (dust, dander, pollen, etc.). Most people just think of allergies as an annoyance they pop a pill for during the spring, not something thatā€™s just as impactful on daily life as T1D.

2 Likes

Yes, thereā€™s probably not a lot of research about T1D and severe allergies either. :frowning: I have suffered from allergies and donā€™t tolerate allergy medications particularly well. I think that the level of exhaustion is pretty serious and most doctors think Zyrtec or whatever is the answer (even if itā€™s notā€¦)

Sorry, I missed the above thread somehow. I do hope the allergy shots kick in, as someone else pointed out about their mom.

1 Like

i am T1D and i also have Graves Disease. i do get sick more easily and i stay sick for longer periods of time when i get sick. but, i have never had a fever. i just dont get them and i dont know why. but sometimes, the only reason i suspect i have an illness of any sort is b/c my BGs start elevating for no apparent reason.

1 Like