Supplies?

Does anyone know of places I could donate unused syringes to?? I have 50cc&100cc and I don’t need them anymore and am at a loss of what to do with them. I hate throwing supplies away, plus syringes in the trash is just TOO risky and scary for me to do in my area. Has anyone had luck finding a place to donate?

1 Like

You can contact your local ADA office for ideas.

Before COVID, I donated some supplies to a local diabetes camp, where doctors and nurses volunteer and find good homes for the supplies. I hope they reopen the camp next year.

5 Likes

50cc and 100cc syringes are huge, bovine-scale. Not suitable for insulin dosing (100cc is ten full insulin vials), or probably any human medication for SQ or IM dosing. Maybe offer them to the local 4H club?

2 Likes

I suspect that was a typo in the original post. It is more likely to me that the OP is talking about 50 unit or 100 unit syringes. 50 units is 1/2 mL or 1/2 cc to use the OP’s units.

In my opinion, 50 unit is just on the edge of being usable. I personally would prefer a 30 unit or smaller syringe. But unfortunately we often just get what a doctor or NP uncomprehendingly prescribes. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

I also have 30 units needles but those are my preference as well so I want to keep them. There was a time where I was on over 50 units of long acting a day and that’s how I ended up with the 100u ones and then the 50u I was on over 40u long acting at the time. I want to donate to people but needles are so :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: to donate especially in the area I’m in.

2 Likes

My endo’s office accepts unused/sealed, unexpired supplies for gifting to patients who are have financial or insurance issues.

3 Likes

Most injections are by pen now, so less folks use syringes. Rare to see 100u syringes since pens can be used with concentrated insulins (U200-U500).

2 Likes

There may be other donation possibilities as well. I take 0.6 to 0.8 ml (equivalent 60 to 80 u) methotrexate weekly via a 100u insulin syringe, for rheumatoid arthritis. So not just diabetes agencies/clinics that help people with medical supplies could use them.

3 Likes