"sugar buster" drink

Has anyone heard of this drink or tried it?
http://goodideadrinks.com/

Seems pretty speculative but if anyone wants to do an experiment-- for science! – I’d be happy to see the results.

1 Like

Anyone cough cough @Eric

:smiley:

1 Like

This one seemed a bit sparse on the science. Chromium is one of those things in diabetes land like cinnamon. There’s been some buzz about it for a while, but nothing extremely compelling.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24293356

The analysis indicated that there was no significant effect of chromium supplementation in diabetics or nondiabetics

And
sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140409204519.htm

The study, “Improved meta-analytic methods show no effect on chromium supplements on fasting glucose” is published in the journal Biological Trace Element Research.

The other part of the drink was amino acids, which you get from protein in your diet. Anyone can put together some blend of specific types of amino acids and say their proprietary blend does something special. But in reality, these things are often just snake-oil. :snake:

(which I think does have a good amount of amino acids…)
:smiley:

1 Like

Yes @Eric, that’s my initial thought too, but I figure it’s one of those things that would be worth debunking for the community. I mean in general I think it’s worth it for us to do these types of (totally safe) experiments and see what the results are.

2 Likes

I will throw some money into this :smile: if someone can design a good experiment.

I will also do some digging in Lund University to see if I can come up with some research papers so we do not need to get @eric to duplicate too much.

1 Like

I would imagine you’d look at how they recommend using it, which is mainly before and with food. They claim it works with people who have normal blood sugar overall though – which is weird because why would those people want to regulate their numbers?? But basic protocol would probably be something like: test BG, drink this drink, eat something sugary or spiky, and then test 1.5 hours after (or use CGM to track peak BG number and maybe Area Under the Curve) – and do a side-by-side comparison, taking the starting BG number into account. Ideally you’d do it three or four times in each condition (without drink and with). But I don’t know that anyone has the patience for such a rigorous trial.

2 Likes

I’m also happy to try it as a “normal blood sugar” person. But if it’s not tasty I won’t drink it more than once. Also I mean – drinks like Red Bull also claim they have amino acids, so what’s so different here?

I expect they are targeting people with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes who do not take insulin with meals. It was developed in partnership with the Antidiabetic Food Center (what a terrible name IMHO) at Lund Univeristy and they apparently spent a 22M Euro reaserch budget over 10 years to look at fighting Type 2 with nutrition.

http://portal.research.lu.se/portal/en/projects/antidiabetic-food-centre(3a9bae87-b64a-49f5-97a4-868a8bb776ae).html

There are a few papers on this page (near the bottom) talking about effects of food and amino acids on post-prandial glycemic response. Looks like a good read.

For those not in the know, Lund is a real research university and has never had Sally Struthers do commercials for them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have to laugh at this question…

Q: Drycken marknadsförs som ”The Swedish sugar buster” och påstås kapa blodsockertopparna. Kan man ge det till barnen när de äter lördagsgodis så att de blir mindre speedade?
A: Ja, den dämpar blodsockersvaret på alla kolhydrater med 20–30 procent, men barnen får fortfarande ett blodsockersvar.

and the bad translation…
Q: The beverage is marketed as “The Swedish Sugar Buster” and claims to cut the blood sugar peaks. Can you give it to the children when they eat Saturday goddess so they are less speedy?
A: Yes, it lowers blood sugar levels on all carbohydrates by 20-30 percent, but the children still get a blood sugar response.

1 Like

That kind of struck me as funny. For people who have normal blood sugar, this drink helps them maintain normal blood sugar!

Oooohhhkaaaayyyy…

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s a “skirt the FDA thing” They can’t market it as having any therapeutic benefit, so the only people left are healthy people?

1 Like

I believe we can all appreciate being less speedy on the Saturday goddess :laughing:

1 Like

Almost $3 a can if you buy a 4-pack off Amazon. It better do something miraculous that my $0.01 glass of water doesn’t.

3 Likes

still cheaper than the kombucha at Whole Foods though :smile: LOL

3 Likes

just ask eric. he’ll try anything at least once :wink:

1 Like

Hi @TiaG and @Aaron
I am Dr Elin, one of the researchers behind Good Idea that you had a discussion about some months back. I realize and perfectly understand that you have a lot of questions about our product and the way we communicate around it and would be happy to get in contact. You’ve got it right that our research so far has focused on healthy, normal or overweight individuals and for them it is important to avoid blood sugar spikes in order to remain healthy as they age. However, I am currently actively looking for Type 1 diabetic individuals that want to try the product over a period of time and give me feedback on their experience. Perhaps any of you would like to do that? I just signed up for this list and don’t know the best routines for having a more direct conversation with only a few, so please advise as to the best way of continuing this discussion, Q&A or what you would like it to be. Thanks for taking a look at our product - we really believe it has great potential both for health and those with certain disorders.

Assuming there would be no overhead cost for the trial (possibly even some incentive?) I am a 24 year old Type 1 with a CGM that would be interested in looking into this. insulin cost in the US is unbelievable and a natural remedy to aid in lowering usage, evening out spikes, and increasing overall health could be a huge step forward for a ton of us diabetics both now and in the future.

Hi there,
I am very interested in talking more to you and others that are interested in trying Good Idea for free. Apparently I cannot post my e-mail address here so you may want to give yours to me? Or you could contact me via Facebook or LinkedIn.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Kind regards
Dr Elin Ostman

This wreaks of the POM scandal a few years back. If you want to drink a healthy fluid that doesn’t cost much, water is your friend. Three dollars a can for this crap is a joke.

1 Like