Student exchange in United States for 8months - TD1 management

My daughter, TD1, is doing a student exchange to USA for 6 months then travelling for 2 months. Does anyone know logistics, legalities for taking quantity insulin and pump supplies over with her, or insurance available for these circumstances. Appreciate any advice.

There won’t be any issues with taking her diabetes supplies with her. We have traveled with a good quantity of pump and insulin supplies and have never been questioned. Probably a good idea to travel with her prescriptions when travelling internationally, even if you don’t need it for the supplies, you always have the scripts if you need to get more.

@Michel can probably add more here.

As far as insurance, I would assume your health insurance would cover her in the US, if that is not the case, I would definitely look into the options.

Thanks Chris. Are prescriptions from Australia honoured in USA? Probably good to have a doctor letter about her condition on hand too. I just wasn’t sure what customs issues are for restriction on liquids ie insulin vials. Her health insurance won’t cover her outside Australia.

1 Like

@Marianne, this will be a difficult set of obstacles. Her best bet is to carry all her supplies with her.

1. Border logistics
    We have travelled all over the world with a suitcase of diabetic supplies, along with (a) prescriptions for everything we carry and (b) a letter from the doctor explaining my son’s condition. We have never had trouble but we have sometimes had to discuss why.
  2. Diabetic supplies are VERY expensive in US, probably 3x more for insulin and drugs. We travel with 6+ months of insulin with us. I suggest your daughter also bring all insulin, drugs and pump/CGM supplies. Right now, while we travel in Europe, we have 9 months of CGM and pump supplies with us.
  3. Pump/CGM
    Dexcom requires sourcing in country of origin, otherwise you will have problems with CGM server. No pump supplier will agree to ship international due to regulations. It would be auite difficult (and likely costly) to get pump or CGM prescriptions going in US. The only way we found was (a) bringing stuff with us and (b) giving supplies to carry to friends visiting. The latter can be tricky because of possible border controls.
  4. No-prescription purchases. All over the world we have been able to buy insulin without a prescription—except in the US. In the US, a US prescription is required. And, as I mentioned, the cost of insulin is MUCH higher here: have her bring hers along.
  5. Insurance
    You will find insurance here very expensive if at all obtainable, due to her preexisting condition. But, most likely, her exchange program includes a form of insurance: this will be your best bet. If it also offers supplemental, for-cost, insurance, do buy it even if it looks really expensive. You can always ask here on the forum what we think of her insurance deal.

I am really sorry to give you these somewhat bad news. This should not be a hurdle that any D kid has to deal with. Feel free to PM me directly (or we can set up a call).

6 Likes

Re. Legality of taking meds: theoretically, the tolerance is for 3 months. But, with a prescription etc, along with a program letter, I don’t foresee any problem. One suggestion is to have prescriptions for much more than you need, so that it looks like she does carry 3 months worth.

1 Like

There are additional insurance options available and tailored specifically for international students being in the USA for school.

Check with the school your child will be attending for more information.

3 Likes

Another thing I would recommend is to join a listserv of parents in the area where your daughter will be traveling. I’m a member of a group in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we often have requests come through from students or out-of-towners who are in a pinch and need extra supplies. You’d be amazed and how quick and generous the diabetic community can be for youngsters who are in need.

For instance, when my son ran out of Dexcom sensors, we had several offers to donate some to us.

So before your daughter leaves, I’d try to join one of these groups. Where in the US is she studying, if I may ask?

2 Likes

Thanks Tia,
My daughter will be based in a university in South Carolina. She is looking to travel in uni breaks and extend her stay to travel across America when she finishes her degree in November 2019.
I will get my daughter to explore TD1 users in the area. What general words would we be searching on, other than TD1?

1 Like

Thanks Thomas it’s on my list to do. It will be a university.