Insulin in England bc i can not get a refill before I leave

Travelling to London Saturday for a week and I am almost out of insulin. Insurance wont cover a refill until after I return. Hiw hard is it to get insulin in England? Also considering hittong walmart before I leave. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jeff

3 Likes

I think you must, the alternative is to bet your life that it will somehow work out ok in England. The Walmart insulin is slower and longer acting than Humalog/Novolog, but it can keep you alive.

5 Likes

That is wha i was thinking. Probably seek some $10 ovalog while I am there.

2 Likes

In the UK you probably need a UK prescription to buy insulin.

1 Like

I am asking some friends there if they know what you need to do when traveling there.

You should have your doctor change your prescription so you can build a back up. Many doctors will write the script for the “just in case” scenario. Meaning when things happen like when you are sick and the amount you need goes up, they will write the script for that higher amount. Then you can build a back up supply for when things happen. When something is so critical for us to have it’s important to have extra on hand. I learned early on when I dropped the bottle of insulin I had at night, exactly what a mess you can land in when you are just going bottle to bottle.

5 Likes

My insurance only covers 90 dau supply. My Doctor did invrease the preacribed amount but Insurance wont cover the new script until after i return feom my trip. Got some Novilin 70/30 so I am covered for the trip. Tnank yoy all for the advice

Jeff

4 Likes

@jeffsurfsncocktails, how much insulin do you use in a day, and how many days are you going to be gone? Also, how soon are you leaving?

1 Like

True for Relion Regular.

The Relion Novolog is same as Brand, but much lower cost.

3 Likes

In :canada: before you travel you can fill out a short form at your pharmacy that allows them to give you an advance on your prescription, and it would be covered by private or public insurance. Can you not do that in :us:?

3 Likes

From what I understand, it depends on insurance and who you have for pharmacy benefits. When I had Caremark, I was never allowed to. With Express Scripts, sometimes. And sometimes it depends on the actual pharmacist and what rules they’re willing to bend. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

@jeffsurfsncocktails Have you used the Novilin 70/30 before? Just a warning. It has a different peak working time than what you are used to. You usually need to stay pretty regular with the times you take it and when you eat. I would make sure you have plenty of a fast acting either glucose tabs or something similar until you get used to it’s different action times.

I think it’s a back up as you have some insulin left? Just be aware though in case you need to use it.

2 Likes

Can you go to your doctor here and get a sample insulin pen from them before your trip?

If not I would go to a local GP in England and explain your situation - maybe they can give you a sample to last you the week. When I was last in the UK about 6 years ago I went to a doctor as I had forgotten to pack my thyroid meds with me. The GP contacted my doc in the US and they faxed a prescription so I could get some. I am a UK citizen so it didn’t cost me anything but I doubt it would cost you anything either since the NHS has no process for payment.

If you had posted sooner I would have happily sent you some of mine.

1 Like

I forgot - Take pics of all your prescriptions so you can prove they are valid and current. Always a good idea to do this.

1 Like

Hi. I live in the UK. You dont say where you are going, but if a city you should be ok. You should take your prescription with you, go to a doctor’s office (called a surgery here), get the GP (doctor) to write you a UK prescription which can be filled at any chemist (pharmacy). The cost should be very low if not free. Hopefully, someone here can help you.

6 Likes

Thank younall so.mivh!!! Found a vial from a local T1D thay i can replace upon return

2 Likes

Yes! Why is it always that way, when the stakes are high!!! I was on a three week trip with insulin to spare. Early morning, before coffee… and dropped a fresh vial on hard tile floor. Vial exploded. I spent three days on the hustle looking for a way to get my supplies back in order. It was not a disaster but could have been!

3 Likes

Just a reminder, @Eric introduced me to these vial protectors. Life-saving!

Vial Protection by Securitee Blanket (Tall, Purple) https://a.co/d/4cL48PW

1 Like

Hi @Jan, I am glad you like it!

I have a bunch of those! All the different colors.

I like the color-coded ones for refrigerator storage, because it’s easy to get the correct vial if you have different insulin types in your fridge.

For travel, these are more compact.

1 Like