Strictly About Pizza

Except it doesn’t work anymore. Now 50/50 over 3 hours is what works. And now I extend only for the pizza portion of the dose; the rest of the meal gets a right-now bolus.

4 Likes

So since I’m grounded at home I’ve been ordering more pizza than before… trying to support my community… and the remarkable thing is that sometimes it doesn’t cause me too many bg problems and other times it’s an absolute train wreck

Eg I ordered a thin crust cowboy pizza from papa Murphy’s… baked it at home… flatline bg

Today ordered a thin crust papa johns, only had 3 small slices, with what I felt was adequate bolus… have been fighting by bg down from upwards of 200 for past 5 hours with countless follow up bolus to the point it just doesn’t make any sense

What pizza places and styles have you guys had success or total fails with? I know it’s tricky since we’re spread all over the world but we can compare some notes

3 Likes

I feel like Papa Johns has a ton of cheese, so maybe that’s the problem? I don’t know Papa Murphy’s.

We have success with Neapolitan style pizza, the more cheese, the more problems…

2 Likes

This was my first papa johns order… i definitely didn’t consider it to have a ton of cheese… although of course that would vary from one location and cook to another…

I agree in general Neopolitan style has been more manageable

1 Like

One thing I’ve found tricky is that it can be hard to tell how much cheese a pizza has by how it looks. There’s a place where we usually get our pizza, and then our second choice. The second choice is more typical “thin crust” and the mozzarella doesn’t feel any thicker, but it takes 3 times the insulin for Samson.

For us, it’s very pizza-shop specific. Like I can’t be certain how things will turn out until we try it a few times…

Good thing with being stuck at home, you get a chance to do LOTS of experiments :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t vouch for Papa Johns one way or the other, but I do have some insight into Papa Murphy’s. The parent company watches the franchisees very closely, including how much cheese they go through. The easiest way for a pizza place to boost profit is to short the cheese, and so at Papa Murphy’s you are very likely to get a pizza that is consistent because they are supposed to weight the cheese they are adding each time, and if they fall below the standard they get noticed by corporate.

1 Like

The other factor, which i have had to consider, is that each pizza joint adds different amounts of sugar to their sauce. and also, some tomatoes are in and of themselves more sweet than others. Take the cherry tomatoes v. the cherry Bomb tomatoes, for instance. the sugar bombs require quite a bit of insulin, whereas i dont even need to bolus for a regular cherry tomato.

also, there is the thickness of the crust. but thats a given. :pizza:

PS: what we try and do is go to the exact same pizza place every time (basically bc we believe it is the best BKLYN pizza in NY) and try and figure out a foolproof bolus (of course this never quite works out according to our agenda)

BUT, and this took a LOT of hard work, deligent, hard work, bolusing for our favorite BARE BURGER with sweet potato fries, double order of guacamole, and lg Terra chips. (75gms, 30/70% over 3 hours) it took a year or more to perfect this, but as BARE BURGER is soooo reliably consistant, i can now nail a flatline every time. its like a diabetic miracle. its better than Christmas :rofl: :fries: :hamburger: :bacon:

4 Likes

Big pizza chains may also add sugar to the dough to speed up yeast action, and sugars are added to the dough of frozen pizza so the crust browns nicely in a lower-temperature home oven. It’s not a lot of sugar, but could be enough to make BGs wacky.

I have better BG results from independent or small-chain pizza places that I know don’t add sugar. And, like @daisymae, I find one or two pizzas I like from the same place and stick with them. Even better results come from homemade, where being able to mature the dough over two or three days results in much more even BG (à la sourdough bread). I can apply the same extended bolus formula to the pizza each time and get pretty predictable results.

3 Likes

With a bonus of a much better tasting pizza! One of the boutique places near us has a cornmeal crust which is amazing, although not low carb.