Storm Harper is coming (US)

Hope all are prepared, extra supplies with you when leaving home. Expect possible airport and travel delays or power outages.

But then again, it may fizzle out like the storm in 1979, when my college barricaded us in our dorms, and the blizzard stalled and died out before it reached us.

4 Likes

I am feeling nice and cozy here in the mountains of Spain!

5 Likes

We’re lucky here in Europe, we hardly ever have such storms.

1 Like

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Actually, we filled vehicle fuel tanks, got some food supplies and moved a small generator (5kw running / 6.5kw starting) for the house into position.

I am shortly headed out to get oil and fuel for the generator. New so am reading up on it now. Watching some YouTube. Going to try and avoid burning down the house.

Assuming I get this figured out, my plan is to ride this storm out in comfort. It is typical that we lose power. We are not exactly in the middle of New York City.

4 Likes

The fun begins

https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/jet-slides-off-icy-runway-in-omaha-during-winter-storm-harper

https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/two-feet-of-snow-possible-in-northeast-due-to-winter-storm-harper

1 Like

We used to lose power for days on end so often that we ended up installing a generator transfer switch and 10 circuit panel in our house. It was a beautiful thing. Furnace, fridge, outlets, etc on it.

Then a lineman from the local electric company moved into our ‘hood and we never lost power for more than two hours after that!

3 Likes

Ha, I was feeling so relieved yesterday when the storm didn’t even touch us - instead it was a beautiful afternoon in the 70s! Windows open, kids playing…so nice. Then my daughter woke us up just before 6am this morning, frightened because the power was off. :woman_facepalming: Thankfully it’s already back on (despite an estimated restoration time hours from now?), but it reminded me how unprepared I am for even a simple power outage, particularly food wise. Something to work on this year…

2 Likes

I had a 3-day emergency food stash. Cans of ready-to-eat soup.
lol
Periodically it goes on sale for half price and then I get what I need.

Only problem is sometimes the kids will raid my stash. Because it is ready-to-eat. So my 3-day supply is probably down to 1 day now. And I assume all the tasty ones were the first to disappear.

Benefit is the stuff is probably good forever or at least close enough to it. Has to have at least a five-year shelf life if not longer.

2 Likes

I have a friend who works for one of those government installations with lots of fences, razor wire and satellite dishes. Every trip to the grocery, he buys a chef boyardee ravioli 4 pack, puts it in a grocery bag, and writes the date on it. He stockpiles it for if anything large scale happens. His reasoning is that it has fat, protein and carbs and he’ll survive for a long time on just that.

1 Like

I have tasted these Ravioli. I am not sure life is worth living more than 4 days if that is the only thing you have to eat…

6 Likes

I certainly haven’t stocked up on it!! I’ll hunt and eat glowing deer before I deal with that aftertaste!

1 Like

:rofl: that was my quick lunch of choice as a kid…haven’t eaten any in over 10 years, though.

Gluten free canned soups (at least the ones I’ve tried) are not great, either…I’d rather live off peanut butter sandwiches and other snacks.

3 Likes

Progresso makes a bunch of ready-to-eat. Nothing special about the gluten-free ones.

2 Likes

So far all ok here, but rain is about to change to freezing rain, and temps down to 0 and below overnight. May accumulate snow and or ice soon.

3 Likes

We are hunkered down for the duration.

@MM2 - Good Luck. Sounds like you may be getting hit hard. Hopefully most of the freezing rain passes by quickly.

1 Like

Freezing rain past, but we hovered around 30-34 for several hours. Now just snow, and very cold temps through Tuesday.

Sounds like you’re prepared too.

2 Likes