Splitting larger doses via MDI

If you have to use what I would call a larger dose of insulin, like 10 u or more, do you split it into 2 doses (given at same time but different locations)? (We do this with our cattle, if they are sick and we have to treat them, we split the dose into 2 places.)

2 Likes

All the time, with mealtime bolus insulin. For instance, my normal breakfast insulin is 10 to 12 units, broken into 3 injections. Some or all will be intramuscular. (I eat 100 grams of carbs with breakfast).

My reasoning is better adsorption. Btw: a few years ago, they tested micro needles for insulin, which included multiple small sub cutaneous needles… The insulin adsorption was improved.

4 Likes

Yes, I use a pump and make sure my max bolus is 5 units at a time. So I spread it out over time or enter carbs for a meal in two or more entries.

4 Likes

Always. Otherwise the large bolus just sits there in a lump and absorbs very poorly. I get much faster and more even results with two or even three separate, smaller boluses.

3 Likes

I take 17u of Tresiba all at once, and don’t split it, but that’s also insulin I don’t expect to work quickly anyway, so I don’t think it matters much. I almost never take more than 10u of Humalog at once—if I am taking that much in total for a meal, odds are good if I’m taking that I’m splitting it up functionally anyway, like correcting and prebolusing with some of it and taking some with my meal or something.

3 Likes