Alternating tresiba doses?

This may seem like a silly question, but I’ve been pondering this for awhile. Currently, I’m using 17 units of Tresiba, which is not quite enough these days. (I’m not getting the exercise that I should, and I know that right now, forcing it ain’t happening.) I tried 18, but it leads to morning lows, and having to watch it all day. 17.5 units would probably do just right. So, any thoughts on if I alternated, every other day, 17 and 18? Would it balance out, sort of, or just turn me into a yo-yo? Any thoughts/suggestions?

2 Likes

I don’t think there’d be much harm in trying it… but I think it’s likely an exaggeration of the precision of the matter that .5u per day is going to make a significant difference… if it were me I’d just keep experimenting with 17 vs 18, and figure out what day to day variables seem to be playing into the equation

4 Likes

Do you take all your Tresiba in one dose? When I took Tresiba I split it into a morning and evening dose.

2 Likes

One dose at night

2 Likes

I use Tresiba, and alternated doses. One day I took nine units, the other day I took 10 units. It worked really well. The ideal remedy would have been a pen that could deliver half unit doses.

4 Likes

Welcome @Lauri! And yes, half unit doses seems like such an easy thing to implement, and most of the companies overlook.

3 Likes

For me, I find a unit of Tresiba to definitely cross lines between too little and too much, so I’ve tried that too. It mostly seems to work. It’s also similar to how I make more dramatic dose adjustments (for example, if going on vacation back when that was a thing and suddenly being way more active). I make a more dramatic shift the first day then dial back to where I want to end up the second day.

I definitely would make use of a half-unit option for my Tresiba pen if available.

4 Likes

Coolio, def going to try. I remember, a couple of years ago, I had to alternate it because of work, (delivery days vs non, so much heavy lifting, and being in the freezer would have me plummeting).
And my endo chastising me about it, so I stopped. Will start up again. Thank you, everyone, for the input!

2 Likes

We did that all the time when we were on MDI :slight_smile:

Because Tresiba works through such a longer period, I will be interested to see what comes out!

1 Like

I use Lantus once daily and 12 u is not enough but 13 u is too much. So I try my best to draw up 12.5 u. I do have 3 cc syringes with 1/2 u increments, but they are hard to hit the 1/2 u mark.

1 Like