So I just ran out of long-acting insulin and won't get more for a few days. Anyone have advice about what to do in the meantime?

Always double check the division, that’s been my mistake; for example half dose at double interval means 1/4 dose each time. Whenever I’ve swapped the only errors have been ones I’ve introduced myself.

2 Likes

If it’s something that could he shipped I could get some pens in the mail to you. I have SO much and we don’t use any of it being pumpers.

3 Likes

You can also buy them @ Walmart. Walmart will even sell syringes to you in bags of 10, so you don’t have to buy the whole box of 100. Unfortunately for pen needles you’ve got to buy the whole box, fortunately they’re fairly inexpensive

3 Likes

@bwschulz - I’m so sorry to hear of your quandary and I don’t know much about your particular instance or the meds you’re taking.

Let me propose, in addition to all of the pharma suggestions above (and only if it is possible) that you also take care to schedule some additional exercise during the days without your usual meds. @Mikey417 and I were just agreeing on the importance of movement for effective insulin utilization, and I expect adding additional movement during these days would reduce your need for insulin, at least a little.

Good luck!

2 Likes

@bwschulz
I used NPH for years and years, and it definitely has a couple of peaks. I had to eat on a strict schedule or risk going low. Just be aware of that.:wink:
Good luck!

4 Likes

I actually did buy some at Walmart because I only have smaller syringes I use to get the last 16 units our of my pens. But I specifically asked for a bag of 10 and they wouldn’t open the box. Not a big problem because the whole box was only ~$12, but they definitely would not sell me a bag of 10 syringes in the size I wanted.

3 Likes

Thanks for the offer, but at this point they’ve probably already shipped and I’m just waiting for them to get here.

1 Like

Interesting. According to this they weren’t following local law, but my state (Virginia) did have a note for insulin availability of “Report of yes [Rx needed for insulin] in Northern Virginia”. That’s where I am so I guess I’m a “report of yes” in the other column. I think the pharmacist may have been inexperienced/ignorant or possibly just an excuse to get me to go away, since they were very busy and it takes a pharmacist 3-5 minutes to enter the information off my driver’s license into the paper logbook they are required to use.

Either way it wasn’t worth the time to argue with them, since I had to stop by another place twith a pharmacy that I knew would give me syringes without an Rx.

3 Likes

My mail-order pharmacy (Caremark) has been pretty good about sending me the specific pen needles I want so far, and I think my insurance gives me a discount through them (but I’m going to check that). But it’s great to know that Amazon has such a good selection and prices. I have Prime and I’m near a warehouse so lots of stuff on that page is available with same-day delivery for me.

3 Likes

I have ordered syringes and pen tips online for IM injections, filling my pod reservoirs, and at times for cats’ B-12 shots. I try generally to order from independent retailers but Amazon offers a good selection not available at other sites.

2 Likes

@bwschulz @jbowler
My pharmacy (Osco) lets me buy individual 10 syringe bags without a prescription. They have several brands (BD, generic etc) and a selection of different sizes and needles. Maybe a state thing (Montana).

2 Likes

I think it’s related to the specific pharmacy, but I’m not sure if it’s corporate policy or location-specific rules. Of the three I’ve most recently visited (in the same area of Northern Virginia) one lets me buy the individual bags of 10 (Wegman’s), another makes me buy the whole box (Wal-Mart), and the other won’t sell me any without a prescription (CVS).

3 Likes

It’s state law:

Connecticut, Minnesota, Maine, New Jersey, New York, and New Hampshire allow the [sale] of 10 or less.

From an encyclopaedic entry which seems to cover all the issues in all the US states. CA apparently had a limit of 30 until recently. These limits ensure that people using syringes without a prescription on a regular basis are forced to share and reuse them; this lessens the number of such people.

2 Likes

@bwschulz - what did you decide to do? Just curious.

2 Likes

I got the OTC NPH & bigger syringes from Walmart (~$40 total) and took the same daily amount but split my daily dose into 4 injections exactly every 6 hours to flatten out the peaks and spread the dosage around. I ended up with great blood sugar for the three days it took for my Basaglar to arrive- no noticable changes. So thanks FUDiabetes!

12 Likes

Glad to hear it!