So how bad is Novolin R really?

Sam, you have breathed new life into this topic for me. I hadn’t thought about that. We want it for exactly that reason, and not having to fight with our insurance would be priceless. Now if I can get my team off the no indication for pediatric bandwagon maybe we can eat some more Thai and Chinese food!

3 Likes

@TravelingOn, I’m very cheap (or careful with money…that sounds better), so the idea of paying out of pocket when insurance SHOULD cover something is hard for me to swallow. But @Sam, you make a good point. I’ll have to see how much it is to see what my options are going forward.

2 Likes

Hey friends! Just wanted to let you know that we met with the Afrezza rep, and Eric passed! So we’ve come home with a bunch of samples are he’s testing out the 8u on a burger with a bun, and salad, and Diet Coke lunch.

We heard that getting it approved through insurance is difficult (from the rep). And I agree with @Pianoplayer7008 - they SHOULD cover needed meds. I’m hoping if more of us fight back maybe it’ll change for the better. I assume I’m probably deluded though. It’s such a big machine and we are just little bits of chaff in the gears. But who knows!

EDIT Maybe this belongs in the Afrezza thread?

3 Likes

Awesome! Let us know how it goes with the burger! One of my first things to try with Afrezza was a (bunless - celiac) burger and fries. :smile:

1 Like

Here is a general statement the endo can use for the Afrezza PA:

Afrezza is needed to counter the post meal blood sugar spikes that other rapid acting insulins cannot handle which will help in lowering any future complications and expense due to prolonged high blood sugars. It will also greatly minimize hypoglycemia episodes due to it’s quicker action and clearing out of the system. This provides greater safety and decreased expense by minimizing the possibility of being hospitalized for these issues. Due to all the above benefits and increased quality of life I believe the minimal expense of Afrezza will more than pay for itself due to greatly decreased risk of future complications.

3 Likes

maybe this should go onto the thread about bad endos??? and, btw, my endo is exactly the type of idiot who would do what yours is doing (LOL)

the day that Novolog/Humolog came out, i was off the R and the NPH faster than a winning race horse. :wink:

2 Likes

Actually, while my doc seems to be going along with insurance red tape to get approval, she’s not the one who chose to do this; this is all stupid insurance stuff. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

well then it seesms like this is the making of a decent endo :sunny: still its that awful red tape that we all hate and that many of us have to go through. it surely helps to have an advocate on board.

good luck

1 Like

I completely agree with you and @TravelingOn… I absolutely despise insurance companies and the entire model that we have to depend on an insurance to decide whether or not we should have medicines and treatments we need in our current healthcare system… but currently it’s what we’re stuck with— they control the healthcare system entirely because they hold the purse strings. I refuse to accept that personally and believe that the only thing that truly gives us power as consumers is when we’re able to give them the big middle finger and take control of our own destiny without their "formulary approval"
https://www.activatethecard.com/afrezza7354/#

I sure wish either one of the professional afrezza patient advocates that are members here would chime in and explain how this card works for people who have insurance but their insurance doesn’t cover afrezza— @Cynthia_Rogers @DuckFiabetes

3 Likes

Thanks! I messaged her yesterday and got a response this morning, which was very favorable. She’s working with me to try to get things to work or with minimal effect/damage to me.

3 Likes