Getting both injectable rapid acting and Afrezza covered

Question that came up while taking to my husband (a nurse) about my dwindling supply of Novolog and syringes (which I use along with the Afrezza). We’re still in process of getting Afrezza approved (and a Dexcom…). Currently, I just have my old prescription from during pregnancy for the Novolog - my doc hasn’t prescribed anything but the Afrezza. My husband thinks that, because insurance denied coverage for Afrezza because there are other options, if my doctor was to prescribe more Novolog/syringes for me, I might as well give up on getting the Afrezza covered, because why would insurance want to cover it if I’m obviously using Novolog. Thoughts? Input from those using both?

1 Like

It hasn’t been an issue for me or anyone else I’ve heard from. The struggle to get afrezza approved is a seperate issue from whatever they’re willing to approve automatically and I’ve never heard of one affecting the other. Virtually everyone I know on afrezza maintains an ongoing novolog / humalog or apidra rx

Are you actually using novolog with syringes? I’d switch to flex pens syringes are ridiculous…

2 Likes

Get the Novolog prescription, needing two kinds of insulin isn’t unusual.

2 Likes

LOL yes! It’s a newbie thing - started out with vial and syringes, someone kindly gave me a couple pens when my last vial broke, but I was/am still doing such low doses of N, I preferred the “reassurance” of seeing the amount in the syringe rather than trusting the pen to give me 1u at a time. :laughing: Definitely going with the pen as it’s meant to be used next…

2 Likes

Good to know!

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Insulin: syringes vs pens

While I was on MDI, I had three recurring RX’s for insulin, all covered by insurance: long acting, short acting and Afrezza. Now that I pump, I still have two: short acting and Afrezza!

Having a short acting RX shouldn’t impact getting Afrezza covered. I hope you get your insurance company on the bus :bus: !

1 Like