Short-Term Pump Disconnect

For a couple of good reasons as well as for one bad one.

In general, my mornings are tricky, and I have the potential for big, stubborn highs. Since I was taking the OmniPod off just before doing the shot of Levemir, I was concerned with that hour taking place at such a delicate time. I would’ve been less concerned in the afternoon or evening. Maybe I was wrong about whether or not there really was an hour uncovered, but since I believed it to be true, a bolus wasn’t a bad call.

The reason I did a big bolus— and I’m honestly talking about a total of 6 units (4, of which, is a standard coffee dose)— is because coffee also has the potential to send me very high. One of these factors alone would’ve been less of a concern, but I was thinking snowball effect and was hoping to head it off. My MRI blood sugars are also notoriously very bad. 4-500s. I had brain surgery many years ago, so I’ve put in overtime doing MRIs. They used to be 1-3 hours in duration. I’m telling you this because experiencing hypoglycemia inside that machine has always been a real fear. But I’m not the same person I was then, so a big shot it was.

That last reason was also the bad reason. Well, not bad— just poorly selected. My priority this morning didn’t have to be an excellent number if I didn’t have time to really think through a plan. I’ve just spent many years justifying highs, and I’m learning now to put in that effort (and take some risks) on the front end.

My thighs. Those are my preferred IM spots, and I agree that it’s hit or miss. I use calves next, but that doesn’t always feel good. I am currently using 8mm syringes, but I’ve purchased 13mm ones. Which sit in my cabinet untouched. They’re a little more intimidating. :grimacing:

That was a long answer. :grin:

2 Likes