Sensor and Fraud Discussion

So you obviously must run your vials down to the last drop before you get more. Hope you don’t run out of insulin late at night when the pharmacy is closed!

BTW, you should check out the fraud in my fridge.

6 Likes

Do you have anything to offer other than nonsense? I couldn’t give a ■■■■ less what’s in your fridge

Do you really think stockpiling is the only reason for people to restart sensors?

6 Likes

Seems to be.

Unbelievable.

3 Likes

If you will look through my posts over the past (almost) 3 years, you will find that I have offered nothing but nonsense to the citizens of FUD. You are very sharp, because it did not take you long to figure that out.

4 Likes

Congratulations. Insulting my intelligence keeps your track record intact

@Jason99 I just had a problem with my Medicare order with Dexcom. After three weeks I ran out of sensors. I wish I had a stockpile, because it was the first time in 15 years ( yes, since before the STS3 was first released) that I spent a night without my Dexcom.

They were very gracious to send me a double order ( ten sensors). They apologized and said they wanted to give me a cushion. I now have a stockpile. That makes me a criminal, right?

7 Likes

Absolutely. I’ll notify the firing squad of your whereabouts

Anybody up for holding hands around the campfire and singing Kumbaya while passing the wine bottle?

8 Likes

I should not be back in here, but I can’t stop myself.

I keep thinking that the end result we all seek is the comfort of knowing we will have what we need. Some of us have that through a good insurance plan—not having to pay for supplies, not having had experienced back orders (or whatever else prevents us from getting our stuff in a timely manner). @Jason99, you mentioned having received a 90 day supply on a monthly basis for a while before you got it sorted out. So you never actively engaged in fraud, but you definitely experienced that luxury… of knowing you won’t come up short.

I have the same end result in mind but can’t achieve it through my plan. And honestly, I also can’t guarantee I will have the money in my account when I’m “approved” for a refill. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling. So I find myself cutting corners: leaving in infusion sets longer than I should, refilling cartridges, reusing syringes… and I don’t even consider myself hard up. I am not desperate, but I do seek that luxury of knowing I’ll have what I need when the time comes. Sometimes I make less than ideal choices in order to make this possible.

Stockpiling has a pretty negative connotation, and I feel it invokes images of people in their cellars surrounded by pricey insulin pump and sensor supplies they’ve deceived their way into receiving. It’s not what I’m doing. I’m saving up for a rainy day. Or for an “unusual circumstances” day. Or for a “they’re out of stock” day. Or for a “I don’t have this in my account” day. All it ends up meaning is I get to go on dealing with my daily diabetes stuff like everyone else without the added burden of worrying about what I’d do without the tools.

8 Likes

@Nickyghaleb yes I was receiving 90 day supply orders for three months straight. I did not place another order until my supplies were depleted. I agree stockpiling has a very negative connotation. I learned of it from another forum with a very similar name to this forum where they give step by step instructions on how to accumulate unneeded supplies for whatever apocalypse they believe is coming. I have no issue with a few months of extra supplies but purposely hoarding 6-12 months of supplies is egregious and causes insurance companies to further clamp down and squeeze all of us.

2 Likes

I can see your point, HOWEVER, for you to claim that the only reason for someone to extend a sensor, or a transmitter, or the life of any other supply is for the sole propose of stockpiling is incorrect and out of line.

4 Likes

So is insulting my intelligence but I guess the double standard applies here.

1 Like

This thread is juat kind of ugly in how some of the exchange has come across, but it’s a very important thread all the same. It’s a tough subject, and although we’re debating from different angles, we’re all trying to protect the same thing. It’s an expensive disease, and it’s a disease that is present every day of our lives, regardless of whether we’re in the best position to handle it.

I don’t know if we can anchor in on that. I don’t want to sound like an annoying peace-pusher, but I really can tolerate another’s choice in management (either financial or daily) of their disease. I’m mad at the disease not in the way we individually choose to handle it. It’s diabetes’ssss fault. And none of us get a pass.

7 Likes

Hi I’m late to the discussion. But I don’t agree with this claim. I would argue that the primary reason for escalating prices are a systematic/structural issue (with health care and insurance delivery). And to blame this on patients who are struggling to navigate this confusing and difficult landscape is highly problematic, especially considering that the vast majority of dexcom users are not hoarding supplies.

7 Likes

You’re wrong. I never said I blame escalating prices on these hoarders. I very clearly stated they are going to make it harder for the rest of us to get our supplies because the insurance companies are going to implement more stringent regulation on who gets the product and how much. They will bury us and our doctor’s in paperwork.

I’m sorry, the patients I’m blaming are not innocent little lambs trying to navigate a difficult landscape. They’re forming Facebook groups to discuss how to purposely get as much product as possible to keep in their doomsday bunkers. Spare me the crocodile tears for these poor souls who are exploiting every loophole possible.

So, we have very clearly hit a nerve. I am not sure the discussion is all that productive from here, but in the spirit of open conversation we can let this keep going if you guys want to continue the discussion. A good number of people have laid out their position, and while I see a fair amount of common ground, I would just remind everyone to keep it civil.

5 Likes

From help stop fraud.org:

“An individual subscriber can commit health insurance fraud by:

• allowing someone else to use his or her identity and insurance information to obtain health care services
  • using benefits to pay for prescriptions that were not prescribed by his or
    her doctor”

Restarts aren’t fraud. Refilling insulin as prescribed is not fraud.

11 Likes

Hmmm. That’s really interesting, @T1Allison. Thanks for taking the time to bring in something tangible. Maybe this will change the course of the debate?

3 Likes