Scrambled Eggs: I Thought these were”Free”, but, AGAIN, I’m learning I might be Wrong

Nope, hot with butter and salt (was too lazy to mash ‘em). New potatoes are generally less glycemic for me but never to that extent before!

BTW, resistant starch can help reduce the glycemic load of home-made :bread:

Fascinating!

Although, at this instant I’m lucky to make dinner, let alone bake my own bread. :rofl: I did make almond flour biscuits tonight!

1 Like

In the past 5 years or so, my breakfast has consisted chiefly of 6 eggs, especially when doing low carb diet. The insulin needed for this always surprised me…I blamed it on DP and liver dump type processes, which is part of the story, but the other part is protein and fat effect. Regular insulin works best for protein foods.

Bernstein advocates very low carb, and he talks about bolusing for protein starting on page 307 of his book. He lays it out pretty well.

My current practice is to bolus for carbs (especially quick carbs) with humalog, IM if necessary, depending on amount of quick carbs. I bolus for protein and fat with Regular insulin (novolin R from Walmart, OTC) using 33% of carb equivalent as a rough guesstimate). Therefore, if 60 grams of protein food were eaten, I’d bolus for the equivalent of 20 grams of carbs (60x0.33), and only use regular insulin for this part of the meal. Likewise with fat.

The thing to keep in mind is to bolus conservatively at first, and see how you did,BG-wise, before the next meal. And, post meal BGs should be checked, especially when just learning how your body responds to protein (a CGM would help, too).

2 Likes

I had NO idea!! I think I need this book.

1 Like

@ErikKnowles We have never done this…

I’m not ignoring this excellent response (or any of the others), I just haven’t had enough time to respond with more than a smiley face… I really DO appreciate this information. I did it again yesterday with the turkey and saw a spike. I never had any idea there was a connection— i think i’ve always considered that a “random” spike.

I’m hardier than I give myself credit for. With all of this lack of correct information, it’s amazing I’m still standing.

2 Likes

I have a late 1990s carb counting book from the ADA.

It basically says something like “Protien and fat do not impact your blood sugars so you do not need to count them. Only count carbs.”

Which is about as far from the truth as you can get.

So to confuse you more… Carbs, protein and fat all impact your BG. Here is what I really use if I was being anal about things…

Carbs: 100% of the grams
Protein 50% grams
Fat 10% of the grams

And here is a link to read in a Doctors office :slight_smile:

BTW - I think the reason we only count carbs is more of a “lifestyle choice” is becomes very difficult for people to count protein and fat so they avoid it. And yes - that includes me.

I have a hard enough time remembering how many carbs are in mashed potatoes bread let alone how much protein and fat there are.

I like how alcholol is a nutrient. Makes it sound healthy :laughing:

5 Likes

I use an app on my phone, fat secret. It has an extensive database of all kinds of food. Once I have those three values (protein, fat, carbs) for a given meal, I input them into a very simple Google sheets spreadsheet which does the math,

I used to just ballpark without much math, but this easily calcs it for me

3 Likes

I think this is probably universal!

:smile:

2 Likes

Because it means taking a little more insulin, and/or over a longer period, I find when I count protein for ordinary meals, I end up low afterwards more frequently. Counting it works well for protein-heavy meals, though. What the cut-off point is, is a wild guess.

It’s an added complication for those of us who do extended boluses to avoid tunneling. You’ve then got to add on another extended for the protein portion of the meal. It can be easier to just not bother.

1 Like

We have said on multiple occasions, we wish we could have two extended boluses running.

I could not even count the number times we have wanted this for whatever it was we were doing.

3 Likes

I’m jumping at random here, but maybe someone could explain the theory on using a temp basal in addition to an extended bolus to get the job done. I don’t know enough about it to understand whether What I’m doing is heavily frowned upon or commonly used. I “loosely” understand the idea that basal is not supposed to be used to cover food, but does this mean a temp basal cannot be used to help cover what I believe to be an upcoming rise???

Sure. End of the day, insulin is insulin is insulin.

But with the different programmed rates we have for basal, if we use a basal percent increase to cover food then we would have to look at what rates and when they switch. It would generally be more complicated.

It is easier to say we need 8 units total for the food and BG correction and we want 40% right now and the remaining 60% over the next 3 hours.

If we want the initial bolus to be delivered slower (for whatever reason) then because we can only have a single extended bolus, we would have to do one extended bolus for the upfront portion maybe over 20 or 30 minutes then remember to put the second extended bolus in (when the first has completed) which would then run over the next 3 hours or so.

If the speed our pump delivers insulin at works fine for us and for the size of this particular upfront bolus then a regular extended bolus works fine.

I will use temp basal increase/decrease for other things. Sick days. Sometimes five days out of each monthly cycle. Something going on of which I have no idea but which clearly is pushing the BG high (such as sick but without symptoms - ie - the body fighting it off enough that we can’t see it but it pretty clearly shows up on the BG and I bet if we did a CBC we would see it in the WBC)

With some sick days when it gets really bad, I will go for a 150% temp basal (for 48 hours) in ADDITION to a 12 unit extended bolus with zero upfront over six hours (ie - 2 units per hour delivered evenly). If we need insulin then we need insulin. I don’t worry about how much. If the BG is high then we need more. I don’t overthink that aspect.

So. Sometime temp basal. Sometimes regular bolus. Sometimes extended bolus. Or combination thereof. Whatever works for the moment.

4 Likes

I appreciate that. I knew the first line

And I just DO the last one

But I love the explanation of everything in between. Thank you.

Thanks for the link to Carb Counting Class .pdf I’m new to all this (T2, July 2018) so I’m reading all that I can. I have two T2 sisters whose BG is constantly high so I’m hoping to share what I learn with them. I’m also learning what NOT to do from them.

7 Likes

I’m still new to all this. I take Novalog instead of Humalog, but am told it’s basically the same. How are they different from ‘regular’ insulin? I thought insulin was insulin. (I also take Lantus once a day.)

Some people report seeing a difference. We had switched from Humalog to Novalog due to insurance reasons. We never noticed a difference.

“Regular” is an older type of insulin that we never used. Based on reading what other people say, that is much slower and longer acting. Significant difference from the Humalog/Novolog.

3 Likes

Welcome @lucaswe! If you are new to carb counting and you have a smart phone there are many apps that give you carb counts. We use Calorie King and like it quite a bit.

Basal Insulins that are commonly mentioned:
Lantus
Basaglar
Tresiba
Levemir

Bolus Insulins that are commonly mentioned:
Novalog
Humalog
Fiasp
Apidra

Older insulins:
Regular or R insulin
NPH

Keep asking questions, we have all been new and it isn’t easy!

3 Likes

Some of us are still new… 15 years in. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes