Samson's 3-year diaversary

March 17 marks Samson’s 3 year diaversary. I’m not sure if we should mention it to Samson or if the whole concept would go over his head. How do you celebrate this milestone, if at ll?

5 Likes

I don’t celebrate my diaversary, because I don’t see the point of it. My diaversary is just a regular day like any other. Nothing to celebrate, but I’m not going to turn it into a day of mourning either.

8 Likes

We don’t typically celebrate it separately. Honestly, my son was diagnosed the week of Christmas, so we are always together anyway, and celebrating isn’t something he has shown any affinity for it. We did try the first year, but it didn’t really stick.

2 Likes

I’ve never really celebrated mine either, and I sorta don’t remember the exact date of it anyways (I’m pretty sure it’s either 11/3 or 11/5, I originally learned it because it’s written in my baby book somewhere)

I hadn’t really even thought about the concept of a diaversary until I found the DOC. Seemed kinda strange to me at first :stuck_out_tongue:

If I were to celebrate… I feel like maybe some sort of ceremonial lancet changing with a song (like when you sing happy birthday then blow out the candles - have your loved ones sing a diaversay song then change your lancet) :joy:

6 Likes

Brilliant idea! :rofl:

3 Likes

Erin and I discuss it together but don’t even bring it up to Liam because, to him, he might as well have been born with it… It’s all he knows.

But we do discuss amongst ourselves how we’ve grown, what we’ve learned, and how much more we still have to learn. Liam’s 3 year just passed also on Feb 28th (he was actually diagnosed on the 29th.)

7 Likes

I am celebrating my 46th diaversary on March 23rd. I like celebrating because I am really proud that I have managed to live a successful relatively healthy life with this chronic illness. My daughter also has T1D so we celebrate her diaversary also (she will be celebrating 14 years in October). We have never ‘mourned’ having T1D. Life brings us all kinds of challenges and my motto is that you have to play the hand you’re dealt as if it was the hand you wanted.

So how do we celebrate? Nothing special really - mostly we acknowledge that it is my diaversary and we will probably go out for dinner to mark the occasion. Last year, because it was my 45th, my daughter did this whole thing on social media. I was very touched.

So happy diaversary Samson!

7 Likes

I have never celebrated it, partly because I’m not exactly sure when it is. I know it was just before Christmas, but no one’s quite sure if I was 9 or 10. My parents were on the slow slide to divorce, so their minds were on other things. But even if I did know the day and year, I’m not sure I’d think it worth celebrating. In 49 (or 48?) years, it had never even occurred to me that one might celebrate it before I joined these forums. After all, I don’t celebrate my asthmaversary, or my hypothyroidaversary. Now my anniversary, yeah, that’s a big one.

But if you do celebrate it in some way, then Happy Diaversary, Samson!

8 Likes

I don’t celebrate the day per se… Rather I select a D-related charity that I want to support and fundraise. The day of the event is my “Dia-versary”. Always a happy event where I did something for others.

9 Likes

I don’t even remember my own other than occasionally wondering if it was April 2 or April 12…

But here’s to at least 80 more for Samson! He has a great name, so odds are in his favor!

5 Likes

Here’s to Samson being a sturdy little fellow and letting his smart folks help him be unlimited!

I don’t think it occurred to us to keep track of even what year EH was diagnosed in until recently. For us…It wasn’t. Then one year it just…was. We at some point figured it out. But we also don’t celebrate our anniversary or really anything other than national holidays which are notated on Google calendar. And our birthdays. Today was St. Pats for instance and I forgot until I drove past a lot of drunks in green shirts at 11am. Just can’t keep track! :rofl:

3 Likes

@TiaG The only advice I can give you is this, the way I celebrate my diaversary (and I just had my 43 diaversary in December )is to take a moment and remember that when I was diagnosed the doctors seam to think that I wound’t live as long because of diabetes. Ever day that I survive the blood sugar wars, I prove them a little more wrong! This may not be appropriate for one so young, so teach him that ever day is worth celebrating.

Oh, and I cook a really fantastic piece of meat, and eat it with a gleam in my eye.

4 Likes

Totally agree!!

2 Likes

Well, we celebrated Samson’s diaversary by enjoying the finally sunny weather. Our older two rode their training wheel bikes along the Bay and then we removed the training wheels just to practice. Samson just took off without any hesitation! I hope that’s going to be a metaphor for his attitude to life in general.

We didn’t really mention the diaversary though. :grinning:

6 Likes

Let them enjoy the childhood they have left. They will learn the rest later. @TiaG I solute you for being the great parents you are!

2 Likes