Research: buying insulin out of pocket without insurance

Have you got the CAD pricing? I am going to Canada and I have funds there in CAD. Thanks!!

Karen

1 Like

@krallison, so sorry I missed your question! We have several threads on Canada pricing, but I think almost all of them account for pricing in US$. Is conversion a problem?

Thanks, Michel. I’m back home but I did buy 5 packages of 5 insulin pens for not much more than the copay here for one package. They’re in the fridge and I’ll be back in Canada before I run out. (or Mexico).
Interesting that there is no requirement for a prescription in Canada for Insulin. The nurse practitioner I asked today in Las Vegas said she thinks there’s no requirement in the US either.

1 Like

You are totally right about Canada prescriptions! Although one if the pharmacies I went to didn’t know.

For the US, though, that is only true for old fashioned insulin (NPH etc). 2nd and 3rd generation insulins need a prescription, a shame really.

1 Like

I remember asking for Allegra (a common over-the-counter allergy pill) when I was vacationing in Florida almost 20 years ago and being told I needed a prescription. I also couldn’t believe syringes require a prescription, here we want drug addicts to have them (though my province just elected a Donald Trump wannabe as leader so that may change).

Syringes can be had without a prescription in the US. Allegra became Over the counter a long while ago as well, but in the “good ole” days you needed a scrip.

1 Like

Merck’s pharmacy rocks. I use them for other stuff.

Also these pay it forward sites are great too if you’re in a pinch. You can’t depend on that I know, but I have given away tons of stuff cause I have great insurance.

Like right now I have tons of Afrezza 4’s I don’t use that will go to waste. I only use 8’s and 12’s. Hate for them to go to waste. :wink:

3 Likes