Reinserting Medtronic Sure-T?

We are out of town visiting my parents and we decided to stay a few days extra because there are wildfires on both routes back into the Bay Area. He pulled out one site early, and did it again. Now I realize we have no new sites.

I’m wondering if I just pull out the site, clean it with alcohol, and reinsert it, will that work? And do I need to basically “reprime” with the new site or can I just move it over?

We don’t have long acting with us, so if we had to go without the site, we’d need to calculate how often to inject short acting to recreate the needed basal…

1 Like

And follow-up question-- just realized we didn’t have a clip on the other end of his site when we went swimming. Will that mean water went into his insulin site tubing and we need to reprime?

1 Like

Tia, where are you, any chance we can get you some long acting?

When you say clip on the other end of his site, do you mean the set? Because most of those have a rubber grommet and doesn’t need the clip. If you got the needle end in the water, I would just use the pump to push out a few units.

1 Like

We’re in Los Angeles and we’re hoping it’s safe to drive back tomorrow. So I mainly have to get through the night. I know we can get long acting at the pharmacy if needed, but Samson is really resisting the shots so I’m hoping this will work.
I mean the clip part of the Sure-T shown in this photo. When you detach, there’s an matching mate that you clip into it so that you can jump into the water/take a shower. That clip was not attached prior to his jumping into water. However, the needle shouldn’t have gotten into the water, it was still sort of hanging in – he partly dislodged it on the edge of the pool.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough if the site is working… :anguished:sure-T

2 Likes

Sorry, you are a bit farther away than Codes would be able to drive. Otherwise we would drive it to you if you were in Northern CA.

I think you are fine with the site.

1 Like

I agree the site is probably fine. I guess these clips are meant to protect you against sharp edges of the site, but don’t prevent water from going into the site.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! We wound up getting a new site from someone in the T1D community in SoCal. I did switch the site but it became apparent that for whatever reason (immune cell gunk, pool water, whatever) it wasn’t working after I gave him a bolus from a pen and his blood sugar an hour or two later reflected none of the insulin I’d given by the old site I’d reinserted.

I’m really grateful for the generosity of the T1D community.

6 Likes