Recommend how many times you restart Dexcom G6 sensor

With the 80xxxx and 81xxxx transmitters we will use the code on the restart.
However I am much more apt to enter calibrations during the first two days while at the same time not over calibrating.

We do not extend often and when we do it is usually only for a handful of days before the sensor data becomes no good. And which we do not feel (for us) has anything to do with the adhesive.

I have a 8HHxxx transmitter and have so far been able to run my first sensor already for 55 days and just restarted it today again for another 10 days!
I have been very careful, however, to protect the sensor on my arm with an additional adhesive patch that I replace every 5-7d. So far I did not experience any issues on my skin and no itching or rash.

Most of the time I was able to restart it in the following way:

1. Wait for new BG to come in and then wait about one minute.
  2. Forget/delete Dexcom from Bluetooth list in phone’s settings.
  3. “Stop Sensor”, “New Sensor”, enter code, “Start Sensor”
  4. Wait 2 hours and 5 min for the warmup to finish. Do not accept any pairing requests during that time. You’ll probably see “transmitter not found” display on the Dexcom app during this time. You can use your phone as normal during this time, but I advise turning off Dexcom app in the Notifications section of your phone settings so that you don’t keep getting pinged every 5 minutes.
  5. After the warmup wait, open Dexcom app and wait for pairing request.
  6. Accept pairing request. You may see “signal loss” message for up to 5 min after this setup.
  7. BGs and fresh 10-day session should appear after that signal loss clears in five minutes.

Today when I tried that again, I got a “No Restart” error two times in a row so I tried the other a bit more complicated method removing/reinserting the transmitter as shown on the YouTube video “How To RESTART A Dexcom G6 Sensor (2020 Version!)”

What I noticed is, that the readings upon any restart are completely off (much too high) in the beginning. I will then usually re-calibrate it on a daily basis the first 3-4 days and after that it gets very accurate without much noticeable dropouts for the rest of the time.

While this seems to work fine for me, keep in mind that I am not a diabetic and use it only for experimental reasons, as I just want to monitor my response to different food items. The approach might be risky, if you have to rely on the readings for your insulin. Dexcom sensors are only calibrated and approved for Diabetes during 10 days, anything beyond you are on uncharted territory…

1 Like

Today under the shower my first sensor finally fell off after 96d of duty and about 10 restarts.
Let’s see, how long I can go with the 2nd one… :grinning:

2 Likes

why not just let sensor expire…wait 10 minutes restart sensor, use same code, theyre all the same code in 1 sensor package anyway.

that’s where I put mine, too…and I’m very thin. I just press my arm - bicep up against something and put it on, it’s better than stomach, waist bands rubbing on it, etc…