Recent research: do night snacks decrease hypoglycemia? Does protein help?

We tried those the very first time these bars came up. He didn’t like them. :frowning:

This is an intriguing topic for me. I’ve always had to make sure I ate something before bed due to my mitochondrial myopathy - times of fasting are hard on my body. In fact, at one point, I was just drinking a little water with cornstarch mixed in right before bed (doctor’s recommendation). That was pre-diabetes…now, I try to eat something with protein and fat in addition to some carbs, the thought for me being to help keep my BG steady through the night. Honestly, though, I’m not sure it really makes a difference - I mainly do it just because it makes me feel safer having no CGM alarms. I’m going to have to pay attention to my overnight BG the next time I skip my bedtime snack…

1 Like

Oh I get it! I’m currently going gluten-free in efforts to see if it helps with some of my non-diabetes issues. Given that my partner already eats gluten-free (and she does more of the cooking these days, and I’m not really a bread/pasta/etc eater as you may guess), it hasn’t been that hard (also because I’m not doing it with contamination-level concern—that’s certainly a much bigger challenge). If it ends up helping significantly, will be totally worth it. And if not, will go back to eating gluten.

2 Likes

@Eric The Amazon site for these bars show 1g Net Carbs for 1 bar in the comparison section of their various bars, while Total Carbs show 21g. Do you know what the Net Carbs means? Would one bolus for Net Carbs (almost nothing!) or for the Total Carbs?

Net carbs is carbs minus fiber. A lot of people calculate differently depending on how much fiber is in something.

BTW, the fiber is what slows it down so much.

4 Likes

Did you spike? 1U is not much so it probably did not matter enormously if you took it

1 Like

Also usually minus sugar alcohols, which in my experience is only accurate for erythritol (and usually pretty good for xylitol, but not many products have a lot of that). Other sugar alcohols do in fact raise blood sugars for me, although not quite as much as the equivalent amount of sugar, maybe closer to about half as much.

Also, I find I typically cannot dose based on “net carbs” calculated primarily on fiber—I have to dose for more than the net amount, but I tend not to need to prebolus for it.

3 Likes

Depending on the type of cheese, there should be little to no lactose in it.

I recognize that this website does not inspire confidence, but it is frequently cited, and I think that it is actually correct:
http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Here’s a little explanation of how that works:

3 Likes

No, I did not spike, but that is because I bolused the 1U! Not a good test. BUT I went from 92 to 106 in just over an hour (and still rising at @ +2 per 5 minutes!). Which means I’d have probably spiked up @100 had I not taken the 1U. In the past I’ve noticed I spike about 20mg/dL per < 1oz (1 small bite of cheddar). My IC is 1:15 so I think +20 is a pretty big spike for almost no carb and really not that much protein either in one bite.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is what I thought as well. I never considered myself lactose intolerant since my tummy never has an issue ingesting dairy in general! Just my BGs! Maybe time to go vegan! :thinking:

2 Likes

Our go-to bedtime snack is Cheez-It Grooves (or cheez its crackers in general). These work like a charm for us for sustaining a good bg through the night (at least a good part of the night.)

4 Likes

I have met a type one who claimed to have basically cured her diabetes through veganism. She took some ridiculously small amount of basal and didn’t bolus. She has a sister who is also type one, and that woman eats a standard American diet and has relatively poor control. I wish that somebody doing medical research could get their hands on these people because it would be fascinating. Twin studies always interest me. :slight_smile:

That aside, we visit friends once a year who are vegan and their diet is always nearly impossible for EH to manage. It might just be hard to do it since he’s generally on the lower carb end of things and their diet isn’t. But I’m guessing that a vegan diet would by nature be relatively high carb.

3 Likes

Wow, if only! I’m already vegetarian so I know for sure veganism would not cure my diabetes. Wouldn’t we all go vegan if it were that simple!?? BUT yes, I, too, would like to know their secrets. Studying twins could actually generate some interesting comparisons. :sunny:

1 Like

Same for us. When we try to count really hard, we take #total carbs - 1/2 fiber, and don’t deduct anything for sugar alcohol unless erythritol. But in general we just count carbs.

2 Likes

I went to a mindfulness retreat for a week once and ate vegetarian, mostly vegan. It was a rollercoaster nightmare, blood-sugar-wise, with all the high carb food. I don’t know how long it takes for the benefits of the high carb/low fat vegan diet to kick in, but if they are there, they definitely take longer than a week for me.

3 Likes