Received something interesting in the mail today

We received an invitation to something called the “Type One Training (TOTs) Project”, an NIH funded research program to help support parents of young children with Type 1 diabetes.

Anyone familiar with this project? If so, would you recommend it? We’re always looking for ways to help better our sons life so we may take the offer.

Pretty good sized packet, but some of the takeaways include:

What is the purpose of the study?
We designed this program to help give parents more support around making food and activity choices for their child with T1D. The purpose of this study is to test the program, called Type One Training Project (TOTs), to see if it improves children’s health. The goal of our research program is to find ways to improve clinical care for all children with T1D.

What is the cost? Is my insurance involved?
There is no cost to participate. Your insurance is not involved. They will not know about your participation in the study and your child’s diabetes care will not be impacted by your decision to participate. Gift cards will be given to your family in appreciation of your time and commitment.

The Principal Investigator for this research study is Randi Streisand, Ph.D. Department of Psychology at Children’s Hospital in D.C.

Food vouchers / parking for any on-site requirement as well as gift certificates for the time families take to participate in the study (up to $500)

1 Like

I have not heard of that but it sounds like a nice program. Are you going to take part it in?

I read up on the doctor a little bit.
https://childrensnational.org/choose-childrens/find-a-provider/randi-streisand

This looks like a great program! It would be great if you keep the community in the loop as to the benefits to the success of diabetes treatment if you decide to participate.

My suspicion is that it will be a good program, although not as strong as the FUDiabetes peer support program :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are going to enroll because it seems less about diabetes treatment and more in ways to COPE with dealing with a child with T1, parenting, food habits, etc.,…I’ll be honest, I can use all the help anyone wants to offer. It’s not something I’d wish on my worse enemy.

We’ll keep everyone in the loop as we progress!

1 Like