Question regarding strange campaign-like posts against Afreeza on Social Media

I’m hoping for some clarity regarding what seems like an underlying campaign against Afreeza on social media sites like FB, YouTube and other forums. I am baffled and annoyed by it. I could be imagining it or maybe I am naive to something but I’ve notice on almost every site I go to for information on Afreeza or as research there are odd posts that pop up . Usually they are questioning the validity of the poster, accusations of them being paid or just blatant nonsensical descriptions of really horrendous experiences. Everyone has different experiences good and bad because we all know the disclaimer of no one size fits all but these are odd. At first, I scrolled on by but then I noticed it is almost across the board. I use Afreeza as my mealtime and correction bolus and am more than happy about it. It is the first solution I have found for stubborn highs, long pre-bolusing times and gastroparesis. My question isn’t a concern about Afreeza. It’s about the underlying creepy feeling I’m getting. Any insight would be appreciated even if it’s to confirm that I’m crazy lol.

2 Likes

I will admit that I have previously (privately) questioned the validity of people raving about Afrezza and wondered if they’re being paid, particularly when it was still pretty new on the market. Early on the enthusiasm of people who used it (and particularly there was this one dude on Youtube who aggressively came across like an Afrezza spokesperson but supposedly was just a patient - cannot recall his name whatsoever) seemed highly suspicious to me. Now that it’s been on the market for a while and I have heard highly positive experiences from folks in places like FUD, I can appreciate that actually Afrezza probably is an amazing revolutionary product and the people telling me so aren’t just trying to sell it to me. I suppose back in the day I felt a somewhat similar “underlying creepy feeling” about the positive reviews that you feel about the negative feedback now :stuck_out_tongue:

I certainly can’t say that there definitely isn’t some sort of campaign against Afrezza happening, and it does sound like something the other insulin companies would happily fund, but I will say I’ve almost been one of those people calling doubt on the rave reviews of Afrezza just because people normally aren’t that enthusiastic about any medication. But my perspective here also doesn’t address this:

For which I have no answer!

5 Likes

Thank you! As usual that was a very honest and straightforward answer that I always get here. :heart: I have seen what you are referring to and I think there should be complete transparency in this area. It is creepy both ways if there isn’t.

I think some of the excitement, which I am guilty of, is that there is nothing else like it and it addressed something that, up until trying Afrezza, I thought was impossible.

I was also very excited about my Tslim and Basal IQ. It’s kinda my personality. I’m glad no accused me of being disingenuous. I would have been so hurt :cry:

Also, I get excited to tell others I think it could help.

Thanks again for your perspective. It helped!

4 Likes

Your breathing the next Round Up because your trying to weasel out of taking a shot:) Yeah i got hints of that when i was researching. Been using it for close to 9mo though and its amazing, its speed is game changing. Its extremely innovative.

7 Likes

:joy: good example of some I’ve heard!

Another aspect about it that upset me is some of it comes from things their endos/insurance told them. It infuriates me when they get in the way of what should be the patients decision because of their laziness or closed mindedness. My doctor is an internist and she was so open to learning about it and supporting me in the process.

3 Likes

I believe there was a campaign of people who were shorting the Mannkind stock and trying to publish negative information to make their short more profitable. But this may be supposition on my part.

5 Likes

I know that I myself have read things that were factually untrue. They were always from quite a while ago. It seemed strange that there would be this lingering trolling almost after years. So it surprised me and didn’t seem to fit as to what the benefit would be to mislead people.

2 Likes

At 21.5% of company stock float being sold short, there is a much higher short interest here.
There are serious business concerns with the company which go beyond the short interest.

At the same time lumping all people who post anything less than enthusiastic regarding the product all into the same boat is likely a mistake just as it is with almost anything else that attempts to give a single reason for the actions of many people.

The extreme posts on the subject go both ways.

Legitimate posts that are anything less than 100% positive and endorsing are often times met with unexpected vitriol.

4 Likes

I totally agree which is why I said the above comment. We learn from both positive and negative experiences. This was different. And it’s not as drastic as it may have come across.

I don’t understand what this means. The odd comments were just enough to wonder if there was something else going on that I was curious about. Maybe this was it. I’m not the best at interpreting social media. I could have been thinking too much about it.

There are lots of [other] business sites that would have this in extreme detail.

Probably not worth replicating those discussions over to here. No upside for this site and likely significant downside for this site.

That’s the last thing I would want and the furthest from my intentions. If it doesn’t effect the use of the product then it is of no importance to me.

It sounds like this is the case and I will remove the post.

I am not saying that.

The success of the company definitely impacts my use of the product. Or I suppose it’d be more accurate to say that if the company weren’t successful at least to the degree they could stay in business, then my use would be very impacted.

I can understand why @Thomas would prefer not to discuss details of the companies success or lack thereof here. It is something I’m concerned about, and I have looked up transcripts of the quarterly earnings conference calls in the past.

I’m not really seeing anything concerning in the most recent one? It seems a bit more cheery actually. But I only skimmed it. I don’t really know enough about stocks in pharmaceutical companies to understand the nuances. I don’t have the interest in learning that in-depth because my knowledge certainly isn’t going to impact the success of Mannkind.

I’m not very active on social media when it comes to diabetes (beyond TUD and FUD), so I can’t be of more help regarding the craziness or legitimacy of negative posts on Afrezza. All I can say is that it can be frustrating to read the negative comments over and over again when most (but admittedly not all) of them seem to come from people who’ve never used the product so they don’t really understand the risk/reward tradeoffs. It seems like it’s always the same discussion over and over again.

3 Likes

I have definitely noticed lots weird stuff about MannKind on sites like Seeking Alpha (which, to me, is a terrible site).

1 Like

Thank you. That would be the aspect that concerns me also! It is encouraging to hear that from what you’ve seen things are looking okay.

I agree and understand that also and don’t have enough information or intention to do that either.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

So, I went to diabetes camp and heard from two endos who prescribed some of their patients Affrezza – they said previously they’d heard rave reviews from one of the counselors there. They said the few patients they prescribed it to stopped using it because it was really frustrating. My guess is that they were trying to “guess” which patients might do well on it and those were patients who were struggling with things like prebolusing, carb-counting, and having lots and lots of highs.

But because Affrezza is a totally different paradigm, the endos maybe misjudged who was the right type of patient for it; it’s probably the case that someone who has trouble with prebolusing or carb-counting is also going to have trouble experimenting to figure out the best way to dose for a completely new drug that doesn’t fit the normal paradigm, and which they received very little education on.

ecause, while there are tons of people online describing their awesome experiences, these are not the people who are training or educating endos. A lot of good endos learn from their patients’ experiences, and if there aren’t many patients with experiences to relay, they may struggle with how to guide patients.

So – in my mind it’s very possible there are people out there with disappointing experiences. I don’t know about horrifically, nonsensically bad, but I can certainly imagine disappointing.

5 Likes

Disappointed comments yes. I would expect this for many reasons. Education and dosing being the most common. This is why it is good to share these issues so that they can possibly get help or advice. Everyone learns from it even if it doesn’t pertain to your own experience.

1 Like

A friend of mine participated in a trial and she really liked it. She usually has trouble with control and the inhaled seemed to reduce hypos without doing much to her a1c.

We will never know how much of what we read about it is generated “stock-related” hype, plain defamation by established insulin makers, and just dirty business. The latest “diabetes break-through” that floated across my screen was Cell MedX stock ticker and all. Afreeza is probably more reputable, but it follows the same marketing practices with all the hype and adversaries. If it is reliable treatment with a niche market, it might survive. If there is a cure, you might not even hear about it but in some deep net conspiracy blogs. It is just too big of a business to find a cure. Sorry for being a doomsday harbinger bubble burster today.

2 Likes

Well actually, I came up with a cure a few years ago. I was going to announce the cure. I was going to win a Nobel Prize. I was going to be rich and famous! I would have been adored by diabetics and their families for generations to come. In the annals of medical history, my name would have been alongside those of Salk, Banting and Best, Pasteur, Lister, DeBakey. I was going to be famous and loved.

But then Big Pharma called me and asked me not to release the cure. And they said they would give me $200.

I thought about it and said, “I dunno. We are talking Nobel Prize here…”

So then they said they would throw in a nifty ballcap if I kept it quiet. And I said, “Deal!”

The thousands of others who were involved in my research - at all levels of the University, all those involved in the research grants, every single one of them - they also agreed to keep their mouths shut about the cure. Literally thousands also agreed to keep it quiet.

Anyway, it’s all true. Here is a picture of my nifty ballcap.

Incidentally, Big Wheelchair tried the same thing with the polio vaccine in the 50’s. But they didn’t have a nifty ballcap, so Jonas Salk said “no”. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Well, at least your satire (hat’s off to you, sir!) is pretty solid! But you might have to settle for being mostly famous and loved on FUD. :grin:

I understand the theory of businesses hiding a cure bc of the money in test strips and insulin, etc. But I don’t think whomever might discover a cure could keep that under wraps for a variety of reasons. So let’s at least mark that one off of the list of things to worry about for right now for ourselves or our loved ones with T1D. We are better equipped for safe, healthy, full lives than we ever have been.

3 Likes