Question for O5 users

I assume there is some way of entering a carb duration, is that right? If so, what is the longest carb duration you can enter?

I am asking because suppose someone is sick and they need more insulin. It takes the O5 several days to figure stuff out. Could you enter something like an 8 hour phantom carb to mitigate a sick day?

1 Like

There is no way to enter a carb duration with Om 5…but an extended bolus can be extended for up to 8 hours or a temp basal increase can be extended for up to 12 hours. Both of those are in Manual mode.

For sick day mode using Om 5 I would stay in Manual as much as possible, adjusting basal and extending bolus as needed. The Auto mode algorithm can’t handle increasing insulin requirements.

4 Likes

Other than manual mode you can reset the controller with a higher Total Daily Dose. Then after the sickness is over reset it again back to normal.

Ive done this once and it worked well for the over night. I think I doubled my TDD? It wouldn’t be for the person who isn’t closely monitoring Dexcom but it could work for someone like you.

4 Likes

Thanks @John58 and @Josie!
I appreciate the feedback!

It is not actually for me, I don’t use the O5. It was a question for someone else. I will pass it along to them. :+1:

1 Like

You can adjust bolus duration from 2-6 hours. There is no adjustment for “carb duration”

Adjusting it toward the minimum duration would have the effect of calculating larger correction bolus amounts sooner.

There is no way to trick the algorithm to give more basal in automatic mode… it seems to operate completely independently of the bolus, other than dialing down the basal when there’s bolus on board… very frustratingly at times.

At times of increased basal needs, the best bet is to run it in manual.

After about a year of use I have no faith in its ability to “figure stuff out” on its own in auto mode. As far as significantly ramping up basal

2 Likes