PWDs: should we use endocrinologists or family practitioners?

This is where, instead of a :blue_heart: to like a post, I would absolutely prefer a button for “this makes me angry” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: or one for “dislike” :weary:.

How awful that medical “professionals” (and I use that loosely) advocate it’s ok to shoot for “being under 300”. Ughhh.

3 Likes

Yah. She was instantly fired. And when the brand new clinic reached out via email for a survey, you’d better believe I reported back in detail.

The worst part was that if a doctor or nurse tells my mom “yah, you can have incredibly high BG, that’s fine” she would prefer to believe them. Luckily my mom actually was quite sick and didn’t catch it. But, geez. You’re an urgent care PA! You DO deal with diabetes! Your patients have it! Read up!

Thanks for the shared annoyance. I feel that way a lot here at FUD, thankful for the support and a place to hash this all out.

1 Like

Honestly, the doctors I’ve actually learned the most from have been the ones who’ve written books, done podcasts/ webinars etc…

Dr Ponder, Dr Bernsetein, Dr Najeeb, I thank you. The $20ish dollars I’ve invested in your expertise has tremendously outweighed the 20-ish-thousand I’ve invested in first person doctor interactions since this diagnosis

6 Likes

That is pretty amazing! Not in a good way, of course.

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised too @Michel When he saw the week of CGM readings from the Dexcom his office loaned me he seemed excited at first because apparently it was unusual. I did not fit the profile of a typical T1 or T2. I guess I think of doctors as scientists and thought he would like the challenge. Wrong. The doctor who referred me to him was surprised and disappointed too. I was going high but also very low, so low that before I even tried mealtime insulin I was already hypo-unaware from reactive hypoglycemia. Oh well, I’ve learned a lot about diabetes over the past few years. Mostly it isn’t as simple as T1 or T2, insulin reisistant or zero insulin production, at least in my case!

4 Likes

Yeah, when I think about diabetes I think in terms of two axes that contain continuum’s. One axis is insulin production the other axis is insulin resistance. Of course each person can change, although in general insulin production only gets lower. But each person will be somewhere on each axis and it can change over time. I hate thinking of it as one or the other. It simplifies it too much.

5 Likes