Has anyone seen more than one Endrinologist?

Has anyone used several different Endocrinologists? If so, did they radically change your meds?

Mine seems to have made no changes to my dosing or treatment, unless I have suggested doing it, like my change to lower cost novolin R.

My experience with Primary Care Doctors have been all very different in what they prescribe. Some do nothing, others over prescribe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Charlie

4 Likes

We have changed Endo’s a couple of times due to insurance. Other than checking what was covered by our insurance, they haven’t made any major changes to our drug regimen unless we asked.

2 Likes

Charlie, this is a tricky question because there is a wide range if needs and expectations.

Imho, the biggest issues are the mindmeld/philosophy btw the endo and the patient, and whether the endo us willing to go to bat for you. If there is an issue in either, I feel a change is necessary. We, at FUD, are more cutting edge that in other places so we typically require endos who are into more modern and sometimes experimental directions.

We have seen here, mention of unbelievable practices, such as an endo bringing up sliding scale etc. Clearly some endos are past their prime in this case. I would not hesitate switching in those cases also.

For us, I have found that we learn more here than from our endo. But I am keenly aware of YDMV. I read if some members here with wonderful endos and I am a bit envious of their relationship.

I’m new here but having had type 1 diabetes now for 54 years and moved all over the world I’ve seen more than my share of endos. In fact I recently fired one for reasons unneeded here. Yet while treatment has evolved I would not say that any made “major” changes over the previous endo. Unless you are having unique problems treatment today seems overly standardized and the biggest difference is how well they listen to you and possibly run tests to support diagnosis of potential complications. If your meds are all working they are unlikely to experiment (Don’t fix what isn’t broken) If they aren’t working then they may be more aggressive in trying to determine why. Some meds for type 2 diabetes have recently had disastrous side effects so they might quickly remove you from a risky product even if it appeared to be working. Other than that if things appear to be working, they probably won’t experiment with medicine variations given recent drug risks. My own experience is that endos very most on the recommendation of lifestyle issues and the degree to which they listen to you rather than presume a standard treatment fits all.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback.
After my initial meeting with my Endo, it seems like

she does nothing, pays attention to nothing, unless I ask.

1 Like

Maybe she is the wrong one for you :frowning:

Thanks for your feedback.
After my initial meeting with my Endo, it seems like

she does nothing, pays attention to nothing, unless I ask.

Even though she seems up to date on stuff,

she recommends high cost solutions rather than

low cost option.

It may be worth explaining to her again that cost effectiveness is important before writing her off? These calls are hard to make. Really sorry your first appt did not turn out so well.

I’ve been diabetic for 15 years and am on my 3rd endo for the most part. The first one made me cry at every single appointment. (It was meant to motivate me to clean up my act, but it actually only made me cry as I continued to not clean up my act). I saw him for 4 years. My second endo did nothing but tell me everything was okay. A1c of 12? That’s okay. Pregnant with no idea how to control your blood sugar other than to not eat? That’s okay. Infection? That’s okay. Nicest guy in the world. Polar opposite of my first one. But that wasn’t okay either. I saw him for more than 8 years. My current endo, who I thought was the best endo, is going to be my next addition to my prior endo list. She really is the best compared to my other two, but she really is not the best I can do. (I actually see she got mention in @Michel’s list of examples of bad endo practices!) :smiley:

My point is, I’m heading back out to see what else there is. Not only is understanding and current management of the disease evolving, but I’m evolving. I need to go see if there is someone who is a better fit for me at this time (and there is). The excellent news is you’ve found FUD. I’ll speak for myself, but I’ve learned more here than anything I’ve ever learned inside any endo’s office. It takes the pressure off of finding the perfect endo who will understand and anticipate all of my needs. Now I need an endo who will listen and help me get what I’ve determined I need.

I’m taking it on in the New Year and look forward to finding support and feedback here as I do.

6 Likes

Nicky, what a great and motivating post this is: you are wonderful!

3 Likes

Sometimes I get lucky. :grin:

Thank you, Michel. :smiling_face:

It’s gonna be a good day. I can feel it. :hugs:

3 Likes