Pump vs Tresiba

Where are you located?

[EDIT] Never mind, read your other post: Australia

On a hunch last night before going to bed, I cut my basal by 25%. Iā€™m glad I did that, it worked out well for me.

I think managing that on Tresiba would be difficult, because that 25% reduction would affect the next two days instead of just one night.

If your basal needs are the same every day, I think Tresiba would be a great thing to use. But if you change from one day to the next, or night and day, it doesnā€™t fit that profile.

To Samā€™s point, the key is to know exactly what your basal needs are. And to make sure it is basal needs that are actually changing, and not IC ratios or insulin sensitivity.

Once you know what your needs are, there are plenty of different insulins available to choose from that can fit what you need. It should never be a discussion about which is ā€œbetterā€. They are just ā€œdifferentā€. Better for Sam and better for me are just two different things.

While I think the debate is interesting, it is clear there are at least two approaches (and probably more) that currently can give diabetics very good results.

I personally am not hung up on which way is the ā€œrightā€ way, but if you are, keep goingā€¦

2 Likes

Out of interest, are there other approaches that are currently giving low A1cā€™s and near flat lines?

Currently it seems the two most popular here are:

Tresiba + fast insulin + Afrezza
Tresiba + Afrezza
Pump therapy

Any others?

I am mostly on MDI now.

95% of my insulin use is made up of:

• Rapids - Apidra, NovoLog, Humalog with setups for micro-dosing
  • Basals - Lantus, Levemir, NPH

YDMV (Your Diabetes May Vary)

Low carb life style was the only way other way for me to get flat lines and lower A1Cā€™s.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gone to bed completely without taking tresiba in the evening like I normally do, taken it the next morning instead, and continued on as normal with my pm dose that eveningā€¦ without a wrinkle

1 Like

But what was the change in nighttime basal when you did that?

What do you do if you need to change?

If I need to make a change it becomes apparent over days or weeks that my trends have become predominantly upward or downward and I adjust accordingly and leave it alone for a while

The 8 hour window is a beautiful thing! Iā€™ve fallen asleep, woke up in the middle of the night; injected my Tresiba and not skipped a beat.

3 Likes

I have heard similar stories from others but I just canā€™t imagine getting similar results. Is Tresiba secretly a ā€œsmartā€ insulin that acts more the higher oneā€™s sugar is? Occasionally I get crazy liver dumps that send my sugar to 15 (270) by morning if Iā€™m on a flat basal. Other times I need a flat basal all night.

Things are crazy during the day as well. Hereā€™s the latest: usually my basal needs plummet after I wake up or after breakfast, but over the last two weeks I have needed much more basal after breakfast than I do before breakfast! My breakfast hasnā€™t changed; Iā€™ve tried increasing my breakfast dosage but this causes lows; and if I skip breakfast I still need heaps of basal.

At least during the day I can sugar surf, but I hate the constant interruptions in my life. If I regularly update my basal profiles on the pump, there are far fewer interruptions.

1 Like

No I donā€™t think thatā€™s really the caseā€¦ I think more accurately, previous basals were just secretly ā€œdumbā€ insulins and caused us to have a lot of misperceptions of our bodies reactions to themā€¦ but thatā€™s just my own personal observation not exactly based in science or anything

I just did something similar. Was out watching my husbandā€™s Blues band (in Chicago). Drove homeā€¦ woke up the next morning pretty and realized I didnā€™t take my Tresiba the night before :hushed: So I took it about 14 hours late. Here is how my day went.

4 Likes

Same experience here as Sam and others on Tresiba. While on the pump and especially novolog, I thought my body basal needs changes drastically all the time. Once I removed IOB and got a flat line absorption basal like tresiba, I discovered that my body only has subtle changes. So I do what Sam stated. The approach here is, instead of trying to nail everything perfectly, I have a basal that works most of the time. I correct as needed with Afrezza as I sugar surf all day with my CGM. And at night, if 2 or 3 days in a row I go slightly up consistently, I might think of increasing the basal by 10%. Or if I do some odd training session that is new and particularly intense, I might skip my night dose just to be sure (slow mo highs donā€™t disturb my sleep as much as slow mo downs).

It used to be that ā€œthe tighter your BG control, the further away from a normal life you areā€ . Tresiba and Afrezza brake this paradigm. Which is what I love about it. It turns T1D management from a full time job to a 2ry hobbie. As Deadpool would say ā€œMinimum effort, maximum impactā€.

1 Like

What a terrific track! You should post it in flatliners!

So Iā€™ll comment on this as well. First and foremost YDMV and Iā€™m only speaking from my own experience.

Was a pump enthusiast for many many years and recently (within the last year) went to Tresiba, Afrezza, Novolog combination. Going to Tresiba has actually helped me understand my body a bit more. Let me explain.

While on a pump I had a higher basal from around the 12pm to 5pm time frame, never could really explain why . . . i always just thought I needed more basal and it was easy to adjust on the pump. Then Tresiba came out and honestly the most appealing thing to me was that I only needed to take it once a day, so I asked my endo if I could give it a try.

At first, my numbers were high in the afternoon and I told myself ā€œSelf, you have to go back on the pump because you need a variable basal.ā€ HOWEVER, I loved not having the OmniPod attached to me all the time. So I experimented. Once I felt comfortable that my basal does was dialed in on Tresiba, I fasted (did not eat for 24 hours) 3 separate times to test it. Not once, did my blood sugar rise in the 12pm - 5pm time frame, as a matter of fact my basal was rock solid all night and all day.

I fasted twice with my pump on after the Tresiba test and both times my blood sugar dropped in the afternoon.

Needless to say, clearly the increased basal was not required and I was 100% confident that my basal was spot on and comfortable ditching the pump in favor of Tresiba.

Well what was causing my blood sugar to rise in the afternoon? My I/C ratio in the afternoon is higher and I needed more bolus to cover my lunch. Piece of cake adjusting this using Afrezza.

We are all different, one way isnā€™t better than the other, BUT I do believe as others have said, that Tresiba and Afrezza break the rules/traditional way of thinking as it relates to basal and bolus.

2 Likes