Prior authorization Novolog - magic words

The generics only came out last year; the two companies in question had patents that expired last year. This is why everything is going mad; the companies are trying to buy in to the formularies while being aware that if they don’t close the deal PDQ they will not be able to do anything. The generics are made by the same companies. The other manufacturers haven’t had time to build the manufacturing capabilities and they are unwilling to do so because they suspect that the two companies in question will deliberately undercut them for a couple of years to stop them; to put them out of business.

Ademlog is Humalog; it is manufactured by the other company and is chemically identical. It just has another name on the packet.

Just to be absolutely clear because it is very confusing; humalog and novolog seem (from comments on this list) to be pretty much identical, but humalog is the chemical “lispro” and novolog is the chemical “aspart”. The logical approach is for us to ask our doctors to write a prescription for “generic insulin {lispro,aspart}” as appropriate. They are both generics; for an insurance company to deny us a generic then insist we buy an identical tier 2 or 3 drug would be, well, interesting.

Fiasp is, I believe, still covered by a patent, so it works under the old rules. I think this is why the company which owns the patent is pushing it so strongly; it’s just aspart with an accelerant to stimulate the skin and thereby increase the adsorption rate. If your insurance company refuses to approve aspart then getting a prescription for Fiasp is the alternative to using lispro.

As a community I think we need to simply stop using the brand names. My hoover is a dyson, lets not repeat that naming error again.

We should only talk about lispro and aspart.

Agree, @Sam - on my insurance, Fiasp is preferred with $0 copay, while Novolog is a Tier 2 with $25 copay. Interestingly enough, Afrezza has gone to a preferred drug as has Tresiba… $0 on Tresiba and $15 on Afrezza… and no Prior Auths except Novolog.

2 Likes

I had to go through that. Just pretend to use the generic for a month, record a bunch of crappy BG’s, high and low, and have them on a different meter. Like whenever your BG is bad, put it on a spare meter. After 1 month, bring the meter in as documentation that the generic was bad.

It sucks to have to do it, but it’s just process and paperwork to prove the generic did not work for you.

2 Likes

We have to use Novalog too for our son, but our insurance (BCBS) covers the inpen which allows for half unit doses and still using Novalog and staying on the formulary list (they don’t cover humalog pens which has the half unit dose).

3 Likes

The official company line answer from my wife’s rx plan formulary. I suspect they are all essentially the same

3 Likes