Possible benefits in the use of glucagon

There is something you are not getting from your diabetes regimen!

With the recent release of the shelf-stable glucagon Gvoke, I wanted to bring this study up.

The study was from 10 years ago, but it becomes of particular interest now that this sort of therapy may actually be possible.

Glucagon is the forgotten half of the pancreas. Everyone talks about beta cells and pumps and insulin dosing and CGM algorithms for pumps, but the alpha cells are totally overlooked!

There is another hormone missing in diabetics! We are not getting this (except as a life-saving treatment when we screw up). We get insulin, but who knows how much we are missing by not getting regular glucagon secretions like everyone else!

Possible benefits of glucagon use could be better fat metabolism, more energy, a reduction in hunger - which would be a possible benefit for people with weight concerns, and a reduction in body fat. Also a decrease in total cholesterol and triglycerides.

I think something like this could be very helpful and I hope this sort of therapy starts to come into play.

We need to get this sort of stuff moving. Talk to your endo, generate some talk. This is totally different than the current stream of CGM pumps and longer lasting basal insulin and phone apps, and all the same old same old we see.

In the spirit of “we are not waiting”, I may burn some glucagon kits in a pod sometime and see how a glucagon trickle plays out with me.

12 Likes

You’re not the only one thinking about this…

https://www.zealandpharma.com/dasiglucagon-pump

And this

6 Likes