People mean well

At this time of year there are more opportunities for gatherings where food plays a big part…office parties, family get-togethers etc. Often folks at the party will know that you are diabetic and want to act as the food police…“should you be eating that?”, “can you eat that?” I know they mean well, but it is hard to explain to them what is and is not appropriate and when and how much I can eat. I am going to make a sign to wear :slight_smile:
c4a62fad5c3ca921a8ac2a287ea441f5

13 Likes

I often tell people that I can eat almost anything I want. It is how MUCH of it that I eat that gets me into trouble…

9 Likes

very true

2 Likes

I tell people the only difference between Liam and you (the person I’m talking too) is that your body makes it’s own insulin and Liam has to wear a device to get the insulin he needs. As long as he gets his insulin he can eat anything and everything in the same amounts any other person can eat. Once they understand the only difference is that his insulin comes from a device instead of a pancreas they go…Ohhhhhhh, Ok!

11 Likes

great explanation!

4 Likes

I can eat whatever I want, I just have a manual pancreas instead of an automatic one.

9 Likes

I tell my nephews I am a bionic man

5 Likes

10 Likes

but I did find out that if I plan to eat a lot of fruit cake (which I love) I might need to fill my pod to the max! I made some this week and decided to “try a piece” or 6 wow that’s a ton of carbs and insulin lol

5 Likes

@3cTim Fruitcake gets a bum rap from all those that make a sticky gooey, fruit-mashed-together, heavy on the cherries recipe that has no “cake.” My apologies to those that like it that way, I hate “wet bread!” My mom always made the “Best Ever Fruitcake” from the 1953 Better Homes and Gardens red/white plaid cover recipe book. It’s not “wet bread” at all, much actual “cake,” though heavy with candied citrus, raisins (dark and light), and a “little” extra cinnamon and allspice by yours truly. I love the cooking smell it fills the house with, its “Christmas!” My wife and I made it every year for the past 30…except last Nov with my T1 dx. I decided this year I’ve still got to enjoy the little things and made two batches! I dose myself for a slice or two every day and fondly keep Mom’s tradition alive! The tradition may die with me…my daughter hates the stuff…but there’s hope: my 5-year old grandson seems to like cooking!

6 Likes

food really is full of tradition and memory triggers…and can take us right back .
enjoy the cake (as I am, my tradition recipe is from Fannie Farmer)cookbook) and have a wonderful Christmas! even if they don’t care for it now do be sure they have a copy of the recipe, they might decide they like it yet
and if you have not seen it…here is the best Christmas Movie featuring fruit cake (makes me cry every time watch it)
Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory (1966 Emmy Winner) - DVD Color - YouTube

3 Likes

For store-bought I use a conversion of 0.6, but for homemade, with the marzipan layer and the royal icing, it’s 0.8. If I don’t have my scale handy, I’m in for a lot of correction doses!

6 Likes

I always have difficulty with figuring carbs in homemade…but it is so worth the extra correction doses :grinning:

4 Likes

@3cTim I’m very fortunate to have wonderful wife that put in all the “gredients” and actually figured the carbs per weight/slice (she is a numbers person and mistakenly loves me!).

2 Likes

wonderful! that really is love :revolving_hearts:

1 Like