On a Good Note!

Keep in mind I haven’t been on Omnipod this full time…but for the last 30 days my average blood sugar has been 167 with 46% in range…The last 2 weeks my average blood sugar has been 142 with 63% in range…I think that’s about how long I’ve been on the OmniPod…The last 7 days my average blood sugar has been 132 with 70% in range!!!

It’s getting better!!! The Dr did labs today, so I’m anxious to see how much it’s dropped since March. I was an 11 at that time. I’m sure it’s not going to be a huge drop yet but I think we’re starting to find my sweet spots for treatment. Currently my PCP is managing my diabetes. I go see the new Endo on July 7th. I switched from Novolog to Fiasp about 2 weeks ago. I’m also having to change my pod out every 24 hours currently due to the amount of insulin I use on a daily basis…sometimes it’s a little less than 24 hours dependent on the number of carbs I racked up for the day. Some days I cheat and allow myself to relax. If I’m counting carbs all the time I think I’ll go nuts. I want my numbers low, but I also don’t want to have to be OCD about every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. Tonight for dinner we went to a meat & three. I had roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes and mac n cheese with a small piece of peach cobbler (my downfall). I couldn’t have breakfast this morning due to bloodwork, and when I got out of there it was almost early lunch. I was getting close to 70 at that point, so I went to Dairy Queen and had a blizzard for brunch. I did have to treat another low a little later but I did that with a 16oz Mountain Dew, and then we went to dinner. Tonight for “snack” will be a protein bar to get me through the night (hopefully to ward off a low since we just increased my night up a little bit).
I’ll let you know when my A1C and labs come back.

10 Likes

Congrats, that is great progress!
:+1:

5 Likes

This is a great trend. You’re obviously getting the hang of this. The key fact is that it’s never a matter of success or failure. The BG will wander off whenever it feels like it, and our job is to push it back in a good direction. Tedious, but routine. And you’re doing it.

6 Likes

Congratulations! All we can do is continuously learn and improve!

3 Likes

I am really happy for you. Keep on truckin as they say.

1 Like

Congratulations on your improved TiR!! I bet you feel better, too. Keep it up!!

1 Like

I just got my blood test results back. My A1C went from an 11 to an 8. My sodium level was low and it’s back to normal. My C-Peptide came back as 0.73 - still waiting for her to tell me if that officially makes me a Type 1 or LADA.

4 Likes

Wow, congratulations on the greatly improved A1c!! Your hard work and diligent attention is paying off! :slight_smile:

According to WebMD:
A normal C-peptide range is 0.5 to 2.0 nanograms per milliliter.

So it looks like you are on the low end of normal range. That should be good news.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Because you c-peptide is low, they are likely going to need to do a GAD antibody test which is reserved for individuals with low or normal (but not high) results on a c-peptide test to make the final diagnosis.

With that said, whether or not you are Type 1 or LADA is helpful from understanding the likely progression of the disease, the treatment for both is the same, which you are currently getting much better at based on your A1c results.

3 Likes

Awesome progress!

1 Like

I was diagnosed type 1 at age 5, almost in DKA. I was just required by insurance to get C-peptide test for pump approval (not medicare, but they are following MC rules.) Test results < .1 . So nice to confirm after 55 years that I don’t make insulin.

3 Likes

Yes, my insurance required it, too, when I went on the pump, even though I had had the test done many years earlier.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you for this reminder. I am a total control freak and perfectionist and can get easily frustrated when I have BGs that r not in target. I know I’m not adding much to the thread, but I really just needed to read what u had to say!!! :hearts:

5 Likes

@daisymae I am becoming OCD about staying in range myself. I keep playing with my pump settings you try to get there without having to do correction boluses and only meal times. Of course once I get it figured out something will change…

4 Likes