Omnipod Dash and high blood sugars

I have problems with it not taking to the pod sites too well with absorption and not lowering my blood sugars. If I give boluses, it does not lower my sugar level and I get spikes over 300 because of pump issues. Anyone else with this problem? Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. I’m practically done with it and it and high sugars and wasting my insulin.

3 Likes

Hi! I had a run of Pod problems last winter as if my body was reacting to the plastic in the cannula. I have better experience using pods on the backs of my arms and behind my hips; legs and abdomen are not so good. My RX for pods and insulin are written so I can change out the pod every 2 days (and thus not call Insulet frequently about problems). Some areas I use overpatches to keep the pod stable on site. Using allergy syringes to fill the pod helps reduce bubble problems. There are a lot of threads on the site with tips for pod users but the most important is: “when in doubt, change it out” and give a correction bolus by pen. Keep us posted on how you’re doing!

2 Likes

I have found it best not to give more than 5u at a time. If I give more, it seems that some of it leaks and never gets into my body. If I need a larger bolus, either I use a syringe or I split up the dose into several 5u pod boluses, waiting around 5 or 10 minutes between each 5u bolus. The syringe works better, but multiple 5u pod doses spread out over time can be made to work ok. I may need to overbolus somewhat in that case too.

3 Likes

Thank you! I have been changing out every two days. Maybe I will try the manual correction bolus since it seems to work faster than the pump bolus.

4 Likes

Yes, I think what @bkh mentions is the most likely reason if you are talking about larger boluses, if you aren’t receiving smaller boluses, then the pod canula’s might not be right for you. If you change to other tubed pumps you get many more choices.

2 Likes

Thanks. I only do smaller boluses less than 4 units.

1 Like

You might want to search our site for the different ways to apply a pod, one of them might work better for you that what you are currently experiencing. If you have trouble finding them, just start a thread and ask for alternative ways to apply a pod, and I am sure you will get good feedback.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the omnipod for years. I can only get reliable absorption on my stomach.

I believe most of the tubes pumps offer different materials (steel and plastic) and angles for their cannulas. I think this gives more options for optimal absorption for various locations.

This (and wanting control IQ) is why I am looking into switching to the T-Slim before my warranty is up.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Another factor is the way the infusion set meets the skin. In the omnipod EROS, the cannula hangs loosely through a large hole in the pod, with the end just poked into the skin, unsupported where it goes in. By contrast, a quickset touches the skin right around the cannula, so if the quickset moves it takes the cannula with it, without any relative motion between cannula and skin. Further, the quickset base plate has a circular groove around the cannula, and the skin swells up into this groove, squeezing tighter around the cannula, which I think is a major reason it can give large boluses without leaking.

5 Likes

I really appreciate that explanation!

5 Likes

As do I! This makes me even more excited to see if my control improves should I be able to get on a tubed pump :crossed_fingers:t2:

4 Likes

I will be switching to the medtronic 770 later this month after being on the Omnipod since 2019. I’m looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do keep us updated on how the 770 works for you.

1 Like