Omnipod 5 and dexcom newbie help

With the app, and I believe the receiver is the same, go to “Settings” and scroll all the way to the bottom. Right at the bottom, in a font which I can barely read it is so small, are a couple of lines which say, literally:

Stop Sensor
Refer to Help for sensor removal instructions.

Clicking on Stop Sensor (in blue) does the obvious thing (after the expected warning, complete with red text).

I dearly hope that the FDA rejection of approval for the G7 is because of UI donkey-pointing-upwards things like this.

So, we JUST got the omnipod 5 setup kit and ill be avle to report more later, but the nurse prsctitiiner at our endo practice actually encouraged my son to use the controller/receiver (which by the way is almost exactly the size/shape of a smaller cellphone so won’t save you space) rather than his compatible iphone. Because the omnipod5/dexcom system is a learning algorithm and adapts its microbolusing strategy over time based on your responses to previous doses, that info is stored either on the receiver or on the phone. According to her, if youre using your phone as the controller/receiver and you drop your phone in the toilet, have it stolen or some other sudden phone death event, the data it learned is lost and it starts over with the new phone. Not end of the world but will mean it doesnt work as well for the next month or so. She said also that if you use the receiver and later decide you want to use a phone instead, it can migrate your algorithm info from receiver to phone. None of this we’ve tested, just how it was explained to us.

1 Like

I have been using the Omnipod 5 for less than 24 hours but i think i can answer your connectivity question now… You do NOT need to buy a compatible phone to make this all work. The Omnipod 5 “PDM” will read & display your CGM values and communicate directly with your dexcom G6 transmitter. You don’t need the G6 app or the receiver. The pod itself communicates with with the transmitter as well so you don’t need to be in range of the pdm for auto mode to work.

There is only one reasonably modern high end phone on the list and it’s already 2 years old. It’s the Samsung Galaxy S20 plus. I went ahead and bought it bc i personally don’t want to carry an extra device around. Finding it is a challenge but i did manage to get mine for $375 for a refurbished one at BlackMarket dot com.

The nice thing about having it connected to your phone is that when I’m driving i can say “ok google open up dexcom G6” and my cgm value pops up on the screen! Amazing.

1 Like

Hey Welcome @davisxa to FuD, and thanks for clarifying that. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Om5 and how it works. I’ve been using it for a while and have often gone “phoneless” using the PDM to get my CGM BG readings.

Just to reinforce how it works: Here is a screenshot of the Dexcom BG reading on the Om5 PDM without using a phone. The BG reading goes from G6 sensor to pod and then from pod to PDM. In both manual and auto mode.

1 Like

Insulet failed in testing the new Omni 5 and its controller (PDM) with low-vision users. Cost is not an issue for me but the loss of my time (learning curve) and my competence with my pump is a huge issue, and a major disappointment to me. Any other low-vision users of the Omni 5 out there?

1 Like

I bought, and use an S10. It was around $200. It works just fine; well, it’s a bit too advanced for my AT&T subscription, which apparently doesn’t want 5G capability in any form. It’s available for less of the $ now on Amazon.

If you are tied to your current 'phone, by contract or love, then, sure, use the controller, which, as has been observed elsewhere, is just a really cheap 'phone. You will still need the G6 app; unless (other thread) I’m mistaken. The app (not the receiver) is required to start the G6, the app has to be on a 'phone (though it isn’t necessarily the Dexcom app). So check Dexcom still supports the app on your 'phone (support is apparently being dropped, there are ways round this.)

NOTE: I don’t use the O5, I use AndroidAPS and Dash. I’m posting because I think I’ve worked it out and there is way too much confusion.

@davisxa I also bought a refurb Galaxy S20+ specifically because it was the most modern phone on the compatibility list (at the time). And I’m now regretting it. I have had recurring “No Pod Communication” errors which couldn’t be resolved with a simple phone reboot. After an extensive wait to talk to someone at Customer Support, I learned that this is a known problem with the app running on the S20+ and that the only solution is to uninstall/reinstall the app and then replace the pod. After the fourth time I had to go through that “solution” I broke down and switched to the PDM. I wish I had read the app reviews in the Google Play Store. Multiple other S20+ users have had the same experience. I hate the PDM enough that I’m going to be regularly checking the Play Store for app updates in hopes of the issue being resolved, but for now I’m stuck with carrying around both my phone and the PDM.