NYT Article: Circadian Eating

“Dr. Panda argues that people improve their metabolic health when they eat their meals in a daily 8- to 10-hour window, taking their first bite of food in the morning and their last bite early in the evening.”

“During the day, the pancreas increases its production of the hormone insulin, which controls blood sugar levels, and then slows it down at night. The gut has a clock that regulates the daily ebb and flow of enzymes, the absorption of nutrients and the removal of waste.”

“Most of the evidence in humans suggests that consuming the bulk of your food earlier in the day is better for your health, said Dr. Courtney Peterson, an assistant professor in the department of nutrition sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Dozens of studies demonstrate that blood sugar control is best in the morning and at its worst in the evening. We burn more calories and digest food more efficiently in the morning as well.”

“One group of researchers in Israel found in studies that overweight adults lost more weight and had greater improvements in blood sugar, insulin and cardiovascular risk factors when they ate a large breakfast, modest lunch and small dinner compared to the opposite: A small breakfast and a large dinner.”

2 Likes

Dozens of studies demonstrate that blood sugar control is best in the morning and at its worst in the evening. We burn more calories and digest food more efficiently in the morning as well.”

I wonder about this logic when, for instance, many of us find we’re the most insulin resistant in the mornings? Many T1Ds I would imagine have a different pattern where they eat a smallish or low-carb breakfast, a bigger lunch and also a smaller dinner, to prevent big unknowns overnight.

1 Like

This may be true for non diabetic people who have a complex set of reactions controlling, among other things, their insulin production.

I think this all goes out the window when a diabetic is trying to control insulin independent of internal controls. I think it’s much more complex than just injecting to mimic natural insulin production.

When we get to IV injection we’ll be much closer.

3 Likes

:wink:

1 Like

@Eric If only everybody was like Eric. So many unemployed doctors :blush:

2 Likes