Not letting any affliction "be your identity" or "who you are"

Watched this today and it reminded me of T1D.

It’s not “the thing that’s attached to you” that defines you. It’s how you react and still live your life in spite of that thing being attached to you, that does. ❤ MJF. How he deals with his Parkinsons is how everone should deal with those things in your life that you have to deal with…they don’t define you, they are only a burden that you must bear as you still live your life in the best way you can.

9 Likes

I have not told any of my co-workers in my last 3 companies.

It’s not that I am ashamed of it. If they see me taking an injection or testing my BG, it’s no big deal, I don’t care.

But the point was that I didn’t want it to be my identity.

3 Likes

I told my direct manager and a few co-workers. In early years (1980s) was doing injections (no pens!!), only at home ( lente, nph, reg) Later with pump, told others who asked. Met other T1D at work, and parents of T1Ds.

Early days (1965-80s) all injections were at home, but transition to MDI, then pump/cgm was more likely that others would notice. There was a manager in my area, that had medtronic pump and led me to getting my first pump.

Amazing how different my reaction was to suggestion of pump after hearing from other diabetics.

2 Likes