New study for eye complications show improvement using Eylea

A new study was released showing that Eylea does seem to improve eye complications using Eylea.

https://diatribe.org/latest-eylea-leading-treatment-diabetes-related-retinopathy

I had injections of Eylea (not via this study!) a few years ago over a 1-2 year period for macular edema and non-proliferative retinopathy, and it did indeed improve my condition. My vision actually improved in my right eye, the one receiving the injections.

6 Likes

Very cool. Sad that diabetics get the short end of this stick, but nice that their are some treatments that are available.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve been treated, well more examined, for what I understand to be an oedema close to the optic cord entry point of my right eye. Last statement was something along the lines of, “Hum, it’s not getting any better, see me in 8 weeks and we’ll talk about injections.” Yeah, not very informative.

I suspect the oedema was caused by a head-plant at speed while skiing (yes, I was wearing a helmet, I wear knee braces too.) This was a couple of years ago. Nevertheless it doesn’t seem to be “improving” (i.e. disappearing, probably not it’s definition of an improvement…)

I suspect I need to get hard-nosed about this and cross examine the doctor in question. I don’t have a good understanding what is going on yet. For a long time here, I had a (family) doctor whose first response was to explain; one of the things I like about the US medical system. I’m not that confident at the moment.

2 Likes

Yes, I hate this, too! My Dr also is not very informative but I know he is in high demand so I feel he does not have the time to explain the procedure, side effects, complications. He has multiple patients waiting for him each time I visit! In my case, at least, he has indeed improved my condition. I would definitely ask your Dr what are the options to “improve” your condition. I would not want to just wait to see if it gets better.

One side effect of the Eylea seems to be floaters, and indeed, I did get a floater in my right eye shortly after the injections. It doesn’t bother me too much, and my Dr did say that it will eventually dissolve but that could take a while. He said as long as it does not bother me, it is better to forego surgery to remove it, and wait (similar to your Dr’s response) for it to dissolve on its own, but a floater is a common occurrence, unlike what you have.

1 Like

I’ve had floaters for years. If anything they’ve got better recently; the doc.s always ask about increase/decrease of floaters. I think I might have seen one a month or so ago - they normally come out in spring, when the brighter lighting conditions make them more visible (because of smaller pupil size.) It’s cool in summer to sit outside in the sun and watch them flitting around; it’s so challenging keeping your eye on one.

One nice side effect of the COVID-19 restrictions is that my eye doctor no longer stacks patients up in the waiting room. Well, the original one retired; he seemed somewhat worried about COVID-19. The new ones have an appointment system that they actually manage to stick to!

2 Likes