New proposed name for Type 1. Let's re-brand it!

I’ve been thinking about this, and all of us T1s get mildly annoyed when “diabetes” is lumped into a single disease. While sympathetic to T2s, we have a different causality, different treatment and different prognosis.

To end the confusion and potential for mis-information, I am proposing a new name for Type 1 Diabetes - “Autoimmune Insulin Depletion Syndrome”, or AIDS for short.

Realizing that there is already a disease called AIDS, I would also propose that, to avoid confusion, we refer to the newly named T1 diabetes as - Type 2 AIDS.

That should clear up any confusion.

In addition, whenever non-diabetics find out that I’m diabetic, I occasionally (seriously) get asked “Do you have the good one, or the bad one?” With this amazing new re-brand, I would be able to definitively say, “I have the good one!”

16 Likes

LOOOVED your idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great, now we can scare people into thinking we have a dangerous transmissible disease.

3 Likes

Yes, but you can say it is the “good kind”

5 Likes

That’s how you get things done. :grin:

2 Likes

wait, didnt know there was a ‘good one’ :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway… why would this be the good one? lol

4 Likes

:: pulls out his popcorn ::

5 Likes
1 Like

whenever i might say in passing that i am diabetic, the response is usually " but you’re so thin." implying that only over-weight people are diabetic. i would try to explain the answer to them, but it is never worth the trouble.

4 Likes

You could really blow their mind by finding a skinny Type 2 diabetic who is 23, and have them try to explain that using their wholly inadequate understanding of a complicated disease. Heads would literally explode.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, you could definitely argue HIV is a more easily/effectively manageable chronic medical condition currently than T1 diabetes, even if it’s more stigmatized. HIV: you can take oral meds and get it to the point where it’s undetectable in the body and not transmissible. Diabetes: needs more invasive therapies with far more time consuming and active intervention, also not transmissible, but probably at this point more linked to complications than HIV that is quickly detected and treated.

6 Likes

Wait, so now in either situation I’d have to say I have the bad one? Hold up folks, plan’s off!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

IDS Insulin Defiency Anemia… …
…is a term I coined a ways back.
(not enough insulin in the blood)

4 Likes

Of course the problem with that name, is they will tell you that the iron pill is the cure, instead of cinnamon…/s

4 Likes

Brilliant😀!!

1 Like

Well a little iron might help a tiny, tiny bit when you are so weak you can’t or don’t have the energy to get up off the couch or floor…

How about IDS insulin deficiency syndrome,?
or PI Pancreatic insufficiency?

2 Likes

Very good! I like it! But, I have a son with Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus. It is a rare disease caused by an improper response of the kidney to ADH, leading to a decrease in the ability of the kidney to concentrate urine. So he drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot. It is a disease that really needs a new name as it is not related to either T1 or T2.

1 Like