New drug to postpone onset of type 1

V expensive immunotherapy drug approved today to delay onset of type 1 by 2+ years (but requires v early identification of antibodies). Gift (free) NYT article. Will you try to have your kids’ antibodies monitored?

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Jessica.

I think the drug is a little too early for me as a t1d parent to check sibling but its very interesting.
I discussed the trials specifically with Endo but didn’t want to sign up at this time

3 Likes

The most interesting thing about this announcement (to me at least) was that there’s a test they can do to tell if someone is going to eventually become T1D before they are actually symptomatic.
Here’s the paper describing it: Staging Presymptomatic Type 1 Diabetes: A Scientific Statement of JDRF, the Endocrine Society, and the American Diabetes Association - PMC.
I have three kids. One of them was diagnosed with T1D in the past few years and she could have died because we thought it was something else and her symptoms weren’t presenting like mine did. It would be really nice to know if either of the other two should expect to have to deal with this in the future. It would be even nicer if that kid(s) could get this to postpone the inevitable. Now I have something else to discuss with their doctors.

4 Likes