Need a Little Help from the Community - Anonymous 3 Question Survey

Added one more just to boost the power a notch! :smile:

2 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Done.

I taught statistics at a community college for many years.

1 Like

Thanks @Richard157. He is having fun in the class. High School hasn’t been much of a challenge for him, so he is taking Stats 1 and 2, as well as a couple of Economics courses to stay engaged. Fun times.

4 Likes

Tell him we are looking forward to the results of this study! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Done

2 Likes

Done.

I’m curious to know what other CGM users put for times per day you check your CGM BG …

1 Like

As an infrequent user of FUD, I was distressed by the number of responses given the wording of the invitation to reply. He will have no data if folks don’t answer accurately. Perhaps this is the most important lesson of statistics: without accuracy in data collection, they are worthless as docslotnick hinted at. It is we who make statistics worse than “damn lies” when we allow for inaccuracy in the data, its’ processing or the analysis. I suggest that you rewrite the invitation, or at least explain my complaint to Cody and have him consider making another request from the community to produce a survey that is less likely to confound the data. Sure, it’s “just for a course”, but that makes it even more important. Our country has suffered through four years of lies and we need to renew a culture of honesty by caring that we all tell the truth at all times or keep our faulty data to ourselves.

@bob.carlson, sorry that you were distressed. The data actually turned out better than I would have thought given the vague questions. All my son was required to do was find the range, median,standard deviation, and manually identify outliers based on a box and whiskers plot. While I agree with you that he could get cleaner data by designing his survey in a more professional manner, his professor didn’t require that, hasn’t talked about the concept yet, and probably won’t be in an intro to statistics course at a community college. If I were to guess that won’t be discussed until he gets to a stats class at a 4-year college.

Finally, if we are going to renew a culture of honesty than we need to honestly discuss the fact that poorly designed surveys have been in use for my entire life, and since survey data is easy to collect and the number of trained professionals capable of creating a valid survey is small, I am guessing nothing will change in my lifetime. The good news is 4-5 years from now, my son will be one of those trained people, so the future is brighter.

edit - I did have the conversation with him.

7 Likes