Merry Christmas

Sure!

• Buy meat. Apply salt and pepper. Let sit on tray in fridge (or somewhere cold!) overnight uncovered.
  • Remove meat from fridge and let come to room temperature - about 2 hours.
  • Heat oven to 150° or 200°.
  • Insert probe thermometer into meat, insert meat into low oven, cook until meat is 125° internally. Takes a long time. Like all day.
  • Remove roast, cover with foil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes. I did an hour and a half and it was fine. Carryover temp will increase 10°.
  • Meanwhile, heat oven to highest temp, mine was 500°. Once roast has rested, stick it back into the oven for 8-10 minutes to “sear” the outside.
  • Slice and eat. :slight_smile:

I will say I might’ve pulled it at 123° and seared it for 10-12 minutes because I love the crusty bits. But overall it was stunningly easy and tasted amazing.

Problem with reading FUD from my phone…I often compose a reply and then find someone has done a quicker and better job. Hehe.

2 Likes

The issue as you mention is that it takes all day to do it this way. If you just increase your oven temperature a little bit it takes much less time…to each his own.

The problem this approach is trying to fix is a little bit of browned meat just inside the crust which I don’t consider to be a problem, so…

I just left it while we drove around and visited friends. Having routinely done this with overnight pork roasts I decided the house was unlikely to burn down. I did move all the flammable stuff further away. :slight_smile:

And in our case it was actually a help that it was so low maintenance of a recipe. Compared to a turkey or something more complex, this prime rib was amazingly easy.

2 Likes

The ultimate way to cook meats is sous vide IMO… zero escaped moisture, precise temperature throughout, and impossible to overcook… still have to sear at end too though

Also less chance of the house burning down if you leave it. On the negative side, not everyone wants to invest in a temperature controlled water circulator…

They aren’t too expensive… and don’t take up too much room. They’re definitely on my kitchen necessity list

I got a yard of twix by my stocking. I think Santa is trying to kill me!

6 Likes

This is an indication that you have too much life insurance.

4 Likes

Were they all Left Twix or Right Twix? I hear Left Twix is higher in carbs.

4 Likes