Medicare Dexcom restrictions

I was very surprised by the coverage issue pertaining to the use of a smartphone app!! :grimacing:

5 Likes

That smartphone rule is hands down one of the stupidest decisions I could imagine. Not being able to share the output with a relative or friend who watches and checks in on you is one of the key advantages of the Dexcom system.

8 Likes

Why would this rule exist? This is so insanely stupid and counter-productive! IF a transmitter CAN accept TWO connections and you WANT two connections so that you can have a better quality of life, what stupid rule would be implemented to prevent you from downloading an app?

Honestlyā€¦this is just me, but if I fell under this rule, Iā€™d DL the app anywayā€¦is the FBI, FDA or some other government agency tracking your app download history?

3 Likes

We should start a petitionā€¦

3 Likes

The problem is Dexcom would know, unless you used x-drip or some other non-standard solution.

2 Likes

Please consider signing my new petition. This law is ignorant and it should be eliminated. Feel free to share with your friends and family.

2 Likes

Is it saying that the smartphone is not covered by medicare, or there are active steps to prevent a user from utilizing their smartphone?

@dave indicated heā€™s been told by Medicare that he canā€™t USE a smart phoneā€¦which I find totally ludicrous!

1 Like

What Medicare is saying, is that IF we use a smartphone, tablet, etc as a RECEIVER, we forgo Medicare reimbursement for the Dexcom system/supplies. Iā€™m not going to be ā€œthe oneā€ to test out the theory by ignoring the rule (I canā€™t afford to pay for the supplies).

1 Like

What about Change.org? Would that be a good place to have another petition, or is that site for different types of issues?

2 Likes

Updated my petition - changed it to change dot org since itā€™s a more well known petition site.
Anyone with write-up change recommendations, plz let me know and Iā€™ll update it.

Need to get 5 signatures before Change.org will display it to the change.org community. Get us there!!

2 Likes

Hey, I sent it to my friends. And a bunch of them signed it. So, Iā€™m hoping youā€™ll get there. Even if it doesnā€™t really change Medicare, maybe more people will be a little more aware of T1D. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, I was surprised this morning to find out my petition has taken on some momentum. This petition now has 382 signatures!

I added an ā€œupdateā€ thanking everyone for their support, requesting them to ask their friends and family to sign it, and also invited them to our lovely forums. :wink: Maybe this will bring in a few new users to add to our already amazing community!

I just signed it, sorry I was late, just a bit D-organized. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Great job @ClaudnDaye! I just saw that you have surpassed your goal. It looks to be gaining steam. Well done.

1 Like

Over 1000 signatures now. Looks like itā€™s got some steam. Hopefully we can take this to Medicare and get this changed. For that to happen, though, we need a lot more signatures. Going to see how high it goes. There is a Facebook group who contacted me and indicated ALL of their 400+ members signed and shared it. They are known as ā€œSeniors with Sensors (CGMā€™s)ā€. They invited me to join their group and I did. A good group of seniors. Would love to get them here and the seniors we have here to join up with them also!

2 Likes

@ClaudnDaye great job on getting this up.

I saw the perition posted on a few of the CGM facebook groups in the last couple of days.

I havenā€™t signed because I am a Canadian :slight_smile:

You can still sign!

And in Chicago, you can still vote!
:smiley:

1 Like

Dexcom has a press release stating that Medicare patients are now permitted use CGM in conjunction with smartphones. I havenā€™t found the fine print.

2 Likes