MDI - sorry for complaining/venting

Nah, not interested in any of the new age food fads oe whims. Just plain old 100% whole mIlk for my family just like i was raised on. Our method for administering milk and insulin in this regard are intentional and a result of a lot of testing. We would prefer to intensely test how to eat normal foods than go low/no carb or eat any of the new age fad foods. The thought of those miles honestly make me gag in my mouth. :smiley:. But to each their own.

no-cal-ad" Nah, not interested in any of the new age food fads oe whims. Just plain old 100% whole mIlk for my family just like i was raised on."…seems like an odd attitude for a diabetic… as a type 1 since 1981, I’ve learned to at least consider all new foods and technologies, and I’d personally rather bolus for the donut, instead of the donut and the glass of milk, I have also never bolused for a regular coke or pepsi and don’t see diet drinks as a new age food fad…especially since they have been around since 1920

13th century=new age?

New age to me means I’m only now (the last few years) hearing about it. Until recently here in the US never heard of almond milk… Maybe i just haven’t been listening though.

I’m not diabetic. My 6-year old is… Diagnosed at 2. He eats what his 5 brothers, mom and dad eat. Nothing special.

It isn’t the new aginess of of the food that is a problem, i.e. grinding almonds in water at home in a good blender = almond milk, and we do that often since my wife is allergic to dairy, but when you buy the stuff in the container you never do know what they did to create it. That is my problem with the new age food. Oftentimes they are processing things highly, which isn’t always great. That is also why we only drink whole milk at home, once you see a processing facility and watch as they use a spray nozzle to separate the fat from the liquid in milk, then add back in the fat to get to 2% or whatever, you realize you can have the less-processed stuff i.e. whole milk.

5 Likes

I totally agree with @Chris. Almond milk (or hemp milk, or oat milk, or many of the other plant-based milks) are super easy to make at home with a blender. I just made chocolate hemp milk this week in a matter of minutes and for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy, and I had full control over all ingredients.

Food companies drive me crazy. So many use vague ingredients (like “natural flavours”) that tell you nothing about what’s actually in the food. Some companies seem to legitimately not even know what their ingredients are made from, or else they just don’t want to tell you even though you’re asking for medical reasons (not just a fad diet). It makes life really hard, and the longer I live with food allergies the more I move towards just making everything myself from scratch (which is hard in itself).

5 Likes

In my house, it’s all alt milks (“filk,” we call it, short for fake milk), all the time, since I’m lactose intolerant and my partner tries to avoid dairy for inflammation reasons. If I’m just drinking the milk (which I do occasionally) I prefer almond, but in coffee (how I usually consume it), almond, oat, hemp, and flax are all good. I loved cashew for that until my body decided it hates cashews. I pretty much always get unsweetened versions, although it’s worth pointing out that oat milk is naturally high in sugars/low in fat and protein, unlike the others, so not a good choice if trying to avoid spikes.

We haven’t tried making our own yet, but we really ought to one of these days.

2 Likes

Hey @Jen I just did a quick Google to find a recipe, but the first one I selected had dates in it. Does yours? Can you share your recipe? I love chocolate milk, but it hates me! I thought I would give this a try!

1 Like

Is it the fat in the food that is slowing down the carb spike? I find the same delayed rise with carby and fatty foods, but they are so good!

2 Likes

Yes, anyone else want ot weigh in about fatty and carby food and delayed spike? When I eat a home cooked meal of chicken, or pork, rice and steamed vegetables, I don’t think of the meal as fatty. Burgers and fries seem like fatty carby meals. Fried chicken, deep fried shrimp tempura all seem like fatty carby food and I can understand. But is baked chicken and rice a carby fatty meal?

If my heavy carb meal were 50g of carbs, I would inject 5 units. Results: BG usually high. I’ll explain. If the meals were to remain around 15g to 20 grams, the I:C ratio of 1:10 works well. BG usally near 110 to 130. Something goes wrong when my meals exceed ~ 50 g carbs.

Suggestions? Thanks.

3 Likes

I experience the same… never have figured it out

I found one online that’s probably pretty similar to the one you found - I just omitted the date. I’m actually not a big fan of hemp flavour, so I don’t really like the milk, although if it had more sweetener in it then I might like it more. I think almond milk would taste great and probably cashew milk, although I’ve never had that. I do have cashews here, though, so may try making some cashew milk this weekend.

1 Like

The insulin you inject goes into a little bubble in your skin (subcutaneous fat), it then diffuses out slowly into your capillaries and thence your mainline blood supply. The diffusion rate is constant but the diffusion only happens from the surface of the bubble. The more insulin you inject at one go the longer it takes for it to be absorbed (the time should be directly proportional to the amount, at least with a simple analysis).

So Bernstein says something like “and thou shalt inject no more than 5IU at once”, but that’s a working limit; one that I do follow, but there is, IMO, little merit to it versus any other.

The carbs know no such limit, they just go where they please. My experience is that fat slows those guys down; that’s the pizza effect.

So… yep. 50g means high BG for me. For a while; for me it comes down after a couple of hours as the insulin catches up those carb boys. My I/C is 8g/1IU, but that’s just a number; the number of carbs in meal I eat is determined by my past experience, so the I/C ratio I use is factored in.

2 Likes

Ahhh, okay. I could try it without the date and if it wasn’t “tasty” enough (I just felt like Lucille Ball in the Vitameatavegamin episode when she said, “And tasty too!” … LOL) anyway, if it wasn’t “sweet” enough I could add some swerve/erythritol.

I guess I just never figured to use any milk substitute for my affinity for chocolate milk - which I really do have to avoid like the plague. I think I had my first glass in 10 years the other night and my belly and blood sugar were awful!

1 Like

One chocolate milk I love is take some unsweetened soy or almond milk and get Sweetleaf chocolate drops. It just takes 5-10 drops to have delicious low carb alternative chocolate milk. The ingredients are just
Ingredients: Purified Water, Cocoa Extract, Organic Stevia Leaf Extract, Natural Flavors
They have a lot of different flavors that are really good.

1 Like

Yay @Marie! Thank you!

I just combined a bit of my hemp milk with hot water and some more vanilla and maple syrup and it tastes much, much better this way than when I tried the straight milk at a lukewarm temperature immediately after making it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

MDI here as well. I understand the frustration with different foods, amounts, and timing and the general peer pressure of it all. I normally don’t eat at night beyond maybe a couple Miller Lites but I splurged NYE by eating some chili at the bar because it was FREE and I was HUNGRY (not low). I pulled out all the beans and thoroughly enjoyed it although probably more than I should! I already knew that the tomato sauce would make me higher in the morning but I wasn’t prepared for that 215 on my meter New Years Day. Not a great way to start out the year. I haven’t had a reading that bad in the morning in over a year and keep trying to remind myself of that. The other issue with all the food and the crockpots around is that you have no idea what’s in there. I avoid every carb that I can beyond non-starchy veggies but will slip and end up eating something very unexpected.

1 Like

First guess - I think your IC is not strong enough.

Let’s walk through an imaginative exercise. We will pretend exact numbers work perfectly and consistently, just for illustration.

• Pretend your insulin duration always lasts 4 hours. Whatever you inject, for all of it to be absorbed it always takes exactly 4 hours.

• Pretend your IC is always exactly 1:10. This works perfectly every time.

• Pretend your basal is perfect.

• Pretend your food always gets completely digested in 1.5 hours (again, this is just a pretend illustration).

Okay…

You start with a BG of 85. If you eat 50 grams, you take 5 units. And your BG will be perfectly balanced, right?

But when?!?

When does your BG return to 85?!?

Using the pretend numbers I gave you, when do you get back to 85?

1 Like