Max Domi

I was getting my fix of NHL news today on the internet and came across this article about Max Domi…NHL star player with T1D. Son of an NHL star.

The article summarizes some of his decision factors when the NHL restarts. He’s an interesting young man, diagnosed at age 12. His perspective on thriving with T1D is honest and inspirational. Any parents out there looking for an honest and inspirational book for a youngster or teen might want to check out his book. It’s got great reviews so I went ahead and ordered it today to inspire my young at heart self. The title (“No Days Off”) hits home.
5 Likes

@John58, you might be of the right vintage to know this guy.

He was my hero when I was first diagnosed. I got an autographed picture of him when I was a boy. I still have it.

This was before pumps, before CGM, before BG meters, rapid insulin, or any of that. The only basal insulin was NPH. The only mealtime insulin was pork or beef!

He won the Cup 2 years after I was diagnosed.

5 Likes

In the 1970s all diabetic children in Canada were told about Bobby Clarke, how he was an example that nothing was stopping us from following our dreams. He’s still the first name you usually hear when someone says “Name a famous Canadian diabetic.”

5 Likes

Indeed, although in my pre-teen years I idolized Bobby Orr the most. Max credits a conversation with Bobby Clarke as a huge motivator after his diagnosis. Hockey is a special sport and really hooks people. While playing, there is instant correlation of effort and result with almost every stride. You can feel it when you’re not pushing hard and you can see it as your opponent darts past you. I think that correlation is one thing (of many) that helps these pros excel while battling BG control…the reward for keeping your BG in range is felt and sensed with every stride.

3 Likes