Making your BG meter show high or low

In a perfect world, treatment decisions would be made by you and your doctor, nobody else.

Suppose you want a certain meter reading.

If you wanted a BG meter to show high or low results, control solution will indicate that it was not a valid blood test. Most meters show it was not an actual blood test, they indicate it was control solution, instead of blood.

I wanted to find an easy to use substance that gave consistently bad meter readings. One thing for high, another for low. I wanted consistency! I tested a number of things, and finally came up substances that that make it easy to create low, and high readings.

The substance needs the right amount of sugar, and it also needs to be the right thickness. Too thick and it won’t work, it would give an error (like table syrup). If it is too thin, it will also give an error (something like water).

Here is the story in words and pictures:

Look what happens when I don’t use the insulin my doctor and I think I should!

Two hours after dinner, still so high!

I really need the Afrezza!

Oh no! A few hours later, look at the dangerous low injectable insulin gives me!

Four hours after my shot, look at this BG number!

I bet this wouldn’t happen with Afrezza!

Notes on how to do this BG meter magic:

• For highs, use chocolate Ensure. For some reason the strawberry did not give high enough results. But the chocolate did every time! Remember, don’t use strawberry, use chocolate.

• The chocolate Ensure was so consistent! Straight out of the bottle. Every single test was a bad high! Very easy

• For lows, I used a mix of sugar free syrup and water. You have to work with it to get the low number and the right consistency, but you want it to be thinner then syrup, thicker than water. A teaspoon of syrup (make sure to use sugar free) and a few drops of water worked great. Mix it and try and add more sugar free syrup or water until it works well, and then keep your mix for repeated use.

• I tested many times, with 3 different meters. Try it yourself, and let me know what you get.

• I used a Contour Next One, a FreeStyle Lite, and a ReliOn Micro, since the ReliOn was specified as the meter somebody used. All three meters were easy to dupe with my kitchen concoctions.

• Don’t dip the test strip all the way in, it will give an error. Only touch the liquid to test surface, like it was your finger.

• Why does strawberry Ensure react differently than chocolate Ensure? I have no idea. Let’s ask some of the brilliant scientists on the site. Paging Dr. @TiaG, Dr. @Chris, Dr. @Bradford !!

• Time it right, and your BG meter will always be above 200 1-2 hours after “eating”, and low, like in the 30’s 4-5 hours after eating! :wink:

PM me if you have questions about this.

6 Likes

So when Dorothy visits Oz and sees the man behind the curtain, that was really you all along?! My mind is blown! Well done, @Eric! This is so exciting!

2 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile:

What kind of meter do you use? If you are using the Contour Next One, and you want a meter to bring to your rude Endo that has nothing but 100’s, plus or minus 5 points, I can tell you how to do that too. :wink:

You can have your real meter, and your endo meter. Eventually when he stops talking down to you, and treats you politely and with manners, you could go back to bringing in legit results…

I have no tolerance for insurance company shenanigans, rude endos, or incompetent endos. And I can’t stand doctors who talk down to their patients. So this is just single arrow in the quiver.

4 Likes

Aaaaaw, thanks! Your kitchen chicanery is appreciated. I’m impressed! Everyone else is planning on popovers and you’re whipping up a recipe for success. Or failure. Or whatever that may be.

I wish with all my brain cells that people who need healthcare could get it, in a nice, friendly, and helpful package, served with a giant side of smart and willing to experiment for best results. But my dad always used to tell me “Wish in one hand, fill the other up with sand. See which one fills up faster.” So I’ll keep the sugar free maple syrup in mind.

3 Likes

@Eric, this is great!

I wish I had thought of running these experiments with the boy, what a wonderful physics/ chemistry lab :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking at the ingredient lists, I don’t think I can offer an explanation of why strawberry gives a different result without significant experimentation. Also, after looking at the list, I am not sure I would drink this stuff.

Ingredients in Chocolate:

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Corn Oil. Less than 0.5% of: Nonfat Milk, Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Cellulose Gel, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Cellulose Gum, Monoglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Carrageenan, Potassium Hydroxide, Turmeric, Liquid Sucralose, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Acesulfame Potassium, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Chromium Chloride, Red 3, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Phylloquinone, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin D3.

2 Likes

The ingredients don’t sound great, but a lot of doctors recommend it. I only got some recently because I needed to get more carbs and was try to get back some weight.

That is what it is for, putting weight on. And honestly the ingredient list looks worse than it is, most of those things are vitamins so they can tout their nutritional value. If you don’t need the artificial vitamins, you could probably achieve the same with chocolate milk and ice cream.

1 Like

I have that almost every day too. :smiley:

3 Likes